Probably moving "soon", how to carry on

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

so 3 month ago I started my first reef tank and so far it's being great. Obviously the plan was to buy coral and fish from time to time until the tank is full.
BUT just recently a private topic came up and it looks like I'm going to move in about a year to a different city in another state.

The distance is about 600km / 372 miles (about 5-6 hours drive).

And right know I'm not sure on how to carry on with the tank. In my head is a "war" between "you cant pause your life (reef tank wise) because in X days/weeks/years might happen this or that" and "I dont want to spend much money on livestock which has a high(?) possibility to not survive the move".

I think I will definitely hire a moving company specialized on tanks when the day comes, but a move of all components is still a risk...
So should I leave the tank like it is now (2 corals and two fish + CUC) or just go with what I want?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now with only a few corals and fish it's not much work to wind down. In a year's time, depending on what you accumulate - it'll be more so.

I can't really answer that question for you - nor really advise because I don't know how large a setup we're talking about here.

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now with only a few corals and fish it's not much work to wind down. In a year's time, depending on what you accumulate - it'll be more so.

I can't really answer that question for you - nor really advise because I don't know how large a setup we're talking about here.
Its a Red Sea Reefer 250 (54 gal), so I guess in comparison not that big at all

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're moving in a couple months I would hold off on buying anything else livestock wise.
A couple fish and a couple of coral should be relatively easy to move.
Depending on the fish size five gallon bucket or two with a couple are Stones those battery operated ones an extra batteries.
All the rock can be put in other buckets they just need to be wet to survive.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 54 gallon tank there’s no way I would pay to have someone move it but big totes and move ahead. Keep everything wet and buy some microbacter for when you re-setup the tank and don’t forget to wash all your sand till it’s clear.

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 54 gallon tank there’s no way I would pay to have someone move it but big totes and move ahead. Keep everything wet and buy some microbacter for when you re-setup the tank and don’t forget to wash all your sand till it’s clear.
Okay, why the microbacter? Shouldnt I keep most/All of the water? Or will it go bad on the way?

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again.
Currently I'm really in doubt if I should keep this hobby or pause it for a few years.

The situation is a bit "complicated". The move is towards my girlfriends hometown. 2 years ago she moved to my city and now we want to "test" life in her hometown. After some time we want to decide on where to stay "permanently" and buying a house. So this means in the next few years there will be most likely two moves. One to her hometown and one into a more permanently stay. Probably all in between 2-5 years.

Currently I run my tank on hold, so I dont add too much for the move.
The move itself will be really stressful and it will take a while to be back on track again.
If thats the case it's almost moving time again and I will probably run the whole time on hold / or at least thinking about the day we move again, so I cant fully enjoy this hobby.

All of this is processeing in my head for quite the time and this morning I woke up and didn't really felt like going through all of this :( So I thought maybe I should pause all of this and getting back into this hobby with a more permanent stay.

What you guys thinking about all of this?

Last edited:

andy28115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the tank, ditch the girlfriend. It will be cheaper and bring you more happiness in the long run.
sincerly,
R2r’s single guy
(Jk, follow your heart, if it’s a source of angst get rid of it, if it brings you joy keep it. Live stock is easy to rehome and live rock/ equipment is easy to move)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back