Probiotics

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently reading about MCH7-1 as a probiotic for some of the coral in the Caribbean.

The probiotic is applied directly to the coral, whic h sounds like a challenge it if can’t be administered tank wide.

Does anyone have any experience with probiotics? What was used? Any literature on the subject is welcomed.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some assistance.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently reading about MCH7-1 as a probiotic for some of the coral in the Caribbean.

The probiotic is applied directly to the coral, whic h sounds like a challenge it if can’t be administered tank wide.

Does anyone have any experience with probiotics? What was used? Any literature on the subject is welcomed.
Literally nothing comes up on Google when you search “MCH7-1” only thing close is stuff called MCF7 talking about cancer cells

Can you link to what you’re talking about?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you talking about the antibiotics they are using to try and stop SCTLD? I know that those have to applied directly to the coral in a paste like application

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally nothing comes up on Google when you search “MCH7-1” only thing close is stuff called MCF7 talking about cancer cells

Can you link to what you’re talking about?
Have a look at the link above ☝️

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting for sure.
Kind of odd that they don’t mention what type of bacteria they found to be helpful. You’d think that would be information that should be shared with a wider audience so more people could look into it.
Here ya go
Give it a good old read though as this is their published research

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that confused me while reading these.... and maybe its just my lack of understanding on the antibiotic stuff.

but in the first article you posted they talk about how they don't like using amoxicillin for SCTLD because of the potential for antibiotic resistance.... but then in the second article they mention that the whole reason these new bacteria help is that they have antibacterial properties themselves.... "strain McH1-7 has broad-spectrum antibacterial activity against SCTLD-associated bacterial isolates"
how would these not potentially cause the same results of resistance as amoxicillin would?

is it just because amoxicillin is much more widely used and therefor at a higher risk vs these new ones?

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that confused me while reading these.... and maybe its just my lack of understanding on the antibiotic stuff.

but in the first article you posted they talk about how they don't like using amoxicillin for SCTLD because of the potential for antibiotic resistance.... but then in the second article they mention that the whole reason these new bacteria help is that they have antibacterial properties themselves.... "strain McH1-7 has broad-spectrum antibacterial activity against SCTLD-associated bacterial isolates"
how would these not potentially cause the same results of resistance as amoxicillin would?

is it just because amoxicillin is much more widely used and therefor at a higher risk vs these new ones?
Um I am definitely not the best person to answer this as I lack the knowledge but an antibiotic is something which is antimicrobial so are antibacterial in their nature, probiotic bacteria is obviously microbial so very basically is good bacteria fighting bad bacteria.
They are actually using amoxicillin treatments for coral successfully if I read right, but there maybe an issue in time leading to resistance from the bacteria which would lead to an ineffective treatment with now super resistant bacteria.
I do not know (I could guess lol) the reasons as to why there is a less likely chance of bacteria becoming resistant to bacteria then bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics, but the fact that the scientists deem this a better option with less chance of resistance suggests there are studies to indicate this and sound reasoning behind it.
I hope someone else can chime in to correctly comment as to the reasons why

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbf it does a pretty good job of explaining the reasons why in the introduction @GlassMunky
I read that but it still Just doesn’t fully make sense to me.

From my understanding reading it all, The bacteria are still only useful because they have antibacterial properties like you said.
So basically it’s giving antibiotics with extra steps (or less steps depending how you look at it) by us just giving the bacteria and letting them produce it in place vs us harvesting the bacteria antibiotics and then applying it.

Or maybe that logic just isn’t correct?
I’m not a microbiologist so I dunno.

Either way it’s neat they found something that seems to be helping.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that but it still Just doesn’t fully make sense to me.

From my understanding reading it all, The bacteria are still only useful because they have antibacterial properties like you said.
So basically it’s giving antibiotics with extra steps (or less steps depending how you look at it) by us just giving the bacteria and letting them produce it in place vs us harvesting the bacteria antibiotics and then applying it.

Or maybe that logic just isn’t correct?
I’m not a microbiologist so I dunno.

Either way it’s neat they found something that seems to be helping.
Same here I don’t fully understand.
I think that logic is sadly incorrect although I am neither a scientist or a microbiologist either.

Antibiotics are not the same as probiotics and I don’t think(don’t think it’s possible)/I’m not sure if there is such a thing as antibiotic bacteria but there is such a thing as probiotic bacteria.

What we(me and you hopefully) do know is that there is a bacterial biome when speaking about corals and it seems in the case of SCTLD that the biome has shifted in favour of the bad bacteria, or there is a higher abundance of them on effected corals.

My guess is with these probiotic bacteria they are outcompeting the bad bacteria restoring the healthy biome to the coral and are more effective than antibiotics as they don’t have to readminister the treatment or risk resistance down to natural competition‍♂️.
It is a great thing for sure and very interesting!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back