Problem connecting APEX FMM using long USB cord

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2019
Messages
41
Reaction score
19
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to set up a remote ATO reservoir - 75' from DT - and I cannot get FMM module that is at reservoir to connect to my apex which is located at DT. I have tested it on short USB cord directly to my apex and it works. Firmware ware is updated. I am using a 100' USB cable that has repeaters and an external power boost. I have even tried a second 100' USB cable in case first was defective. I have tested the USB cable it with computer and cable works.
 
I thought I read somewhere you can’t use a cable with repeaters or boosters.
 
You cannot use repeaters. AquaBus runs on 12v, but USB is 5v. You need a USB cable with no repeaters to allow the 12v to pass through uninhibited. You can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long made specifically for Apex here: https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new