Problem using flat worm exit from Salifert

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have this small DSB project going on, but it has a flat worm problem.
I get out there buy myself some Salifert drops.
I respect the paper, check online for tips and tricks and I go ahead and dose the thing with everything prepared for a tank intoxication.

Micro filters a LOT of activated coal, water change (more than the whole tank) to do a partial water change...

I sat in front of there seeing the worms agitated.
I knew I had some worms but I never though there was some HUGE ones too.
Some start to roll out and die off (I guess)

So as they said on the paper I dump the activated coal and let the tank sit.
My SP got stressed a little, some zoas didn't like, and some native ophiuroidea were not in a lovely state.

2 days later, the worms are back.
So I think hey, maybe I dumped the activated charcoal too quickly.

I go ahead and do the same.
I dose ... does nothing. On the instruction it said, if you don't see worms dying after 30 mins, add half more of the dose.
Here goes (YOU GONNA DIE)
Worms start peeling off the window, running about the big worms going around my mushrooms like their butt is on fire.
This time I wait 2 hours and then I insert activated charcoal.

Busy week, one week later, SAME OMG!

Today I decided, to add twice the dose directly and NOTHING hapenned, not even the Star polyps having a hard time. My conclusion, everything adapted to it ...
I am not willing to go and copper treat the thing since it's a DSB I'm a little out of ideas.

What should I do ? Normally I would sit this one out but I'm scared about the toxicity of a high concentration of those flat worms.
Did anyone see flatworms control themselves by starvation ? Is it even possible ?

P.S.
Sorry for the broken english
73049146_1049057282115263_8613055182638415872_n.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you have to dose in higher strength and use more time. Once you get down to just a few, then let it sit in there for a few hours if the fish and stuff are not stressed.

It is possible that you do not have regular red planaria that this works so well with. I have had them at times and I have never seen a "huge" one before. This stuff does not work as well on other types of flatworms.

You can get them all with multiple treatments if they are indeed regular red planaria.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm i wonder if a possum or pink streak would be small enough...might have to do some digging but might be able to find one that will work.

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recent experience with flat worms in my fuge resulted in a bleach bath. After the fourth time of a quadruple dose of ridX left in the tank for 4 days. They came back....

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up dosing Exit 3 times every 3 days and it worked great . First time I siphoned out as many flatworms as possible for a couple days and then I treated . I thought I had 100 flatworms but that turned into 1000’s! I was amazed ! I used a small net to catch dosing ones in water . I dosed the regular amount suggested too. After 2 hours i added carbon and later that evening I done a 25 percent water change . My corals done okay during that time .
I dowsed every 3 rd day to try to kill off any during there hatch cycle then with no water changes added. Only carbon . A week later I noticed a few on glass so I bought a medium size melanurus wrasse and have not seen a flatworm since!

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good advice thanks, I just need to make sure it will not eat my sexy shrimps
Should be ok I hope you get rid of them. What I did about every day was just siphon them out till they were just a few. And also what ever you see you have 5x that many. They multiply fast good luck

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a video of one of them big guys , you can see it on the right of the closed yellow polyp as well as other normal ones around

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a different type of flatworm. The regular red planaria look like tiny red bowties or snow angels.

Borrowed photo:
Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 3.45.24 PM.png
they don'T look like that :( I guess I will need to hire someone to do the job , how about a blue velvet nudibranch ? will it only eat the red ones ?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrow crabs, peppermint shrimp, some fish (unfortunately, wrasses mostly get too large for your tank). I have never had success with Velvet Nudi and what do you do when they eat them all since they die.

You can suck them out too, like above... or just skewer or mash them when you see them.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don'T look like that :( I guess I will need to hire someone to do the job , how about a blue velvet nudibranch ? will it only eat the red ones ?
I don't know about nudi I have melenarus wrasse to take of mine but I still suck them out time to time. I would just shiphon them just keep doing it until you find a preditor to eat them.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrow crabs, peppermint shrimp, some fish (unfortunately, wrasses mostly get too large for your tank). I have never had success with Velvet Nudi and what do you do when they eat them all since they die.

You can suck them out too, like above... or just skewer or mash them when you see them.
peppermint shrimp hmmmm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back