Problem with Cycle need some advice

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you change water then add fish, they're fine as long as they're not diseased which most pet store fish are

what I'd do is the water change for lowering algae feed, add a few pre quarantined fish and chart updates.

if quarantined fish aren't avail, when are they ever, then next best option is water change, stock the tank with common starter corals and cuc and allow it to mature a while. be feeding them and common maintenance water changes like normal and when ready, place the tank in fallow 80 days then add fish that you bought and quarantined at the end of the fallow period. though your tank can carry fish, there isn't a setting I'd add mixed pet store fish to a reef tank without fallow and qt. one way to make use of your ready tank after the water change is to add hardy corals, begin reefing and cuc and everything just shy of fish. before adding fish, have a fish disease plan in place that comes from the fish disease forums daily work.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you change water then add fish, they're fine as long as they're not diseased which most pet store fish are

what I'd do is the water change for lowering algae feed, add a few pre quarantined fish and chart updates.

if quarantined fish aren't avail, when are they ever, then next best option is water change, stock the tank with common starter corals and cuc and allow it to mature a while. be feeding them and common maintenance water changes like normal and when ready, place the tank in fallow 80 days then add fish that you bought and quarantined at the end of the fallow period. though your tank can carry fish, there isn't a setting I'd add mixed pet store fish to a reef tank without fallow and qt. one way to make use of your ready tank after the water change is to add hardy corals, begin reefing and cuc and everything just shy of fish. before adding fish, have a fish disease plan in place that comes from the fish disease forums daily work.
yah trying to not bring in ich or velve into the tank going to be going fishless for a bit till i can fully QT all my new incoming fish
just thought the ammonia would kill any inverts i bring in

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that link from ike shows how the inverts will fare, just fine. hit up the water change it'll work out fine/what you add initially will be fine. post a tank pic, we always want to see those in cycling threads as we get to have the continuing link between tank presentation/water clarity and test levels reported. try and post a reading of the actual test kit in clean light when you can to complete the thread. updates after you've added life will be the best part, to get to track out all these patterns

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria needs a food source to grow, it sounds like your tank cycled. Its also possible the shrimp is breaking down more then before hence the spike. Ive personally never cycled with a shrimp so i dont not how quick it will decompose.

I'm old school and always cycle with 2 clowns or some chromis. I useally seed with live rock.

Id give it another day or 2 and test again.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that link from ike shows how the inverts will fare, just fine. hit up the water change it'll work out fine/what you add initially will be fine. post a tank pic, we always want to see those in cycling threads as we get to have the continuing link between tank presentation/water clarity and test levels reported. try and post a reading of the actual test kit in clean light when you can to complete the thread. updates after you've added life will be the best part, to get to track out all these patterns
roger ill do some water changes through out the week get some inverts in there and get this thing going light should be here this week hopefully

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria needs a food source to grow, it sounds like your tank cycled. Its also possible the shrimp is breaking down more then before hence the spike. Ive personally never cycled with a shrimp so i dont not how quick it will decompose.

I'm old school and always cycle with 2 clowns or some chromis. I useally seed with live rock.

Id give it another day or 2 and test again.
roger that i know the light would help but no dang light yet

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back