problem with fish dying?! need help stat please!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last tank that I set up was fishless for 6 months, and I impatiently waited a year before adding my Powder Blue Tang. Panda, if I were you, I'd look for a different LFS. One that will tutor you and help you. Not one that will just sell you anything. Like stated before, a quarantine tank is a necessity in this hobby. Also, there's several real good books out there about starting a saltwater aquarium and several good web sites with videos. If you really want a saltwater tank then you are going to have to become a blooming biologist and study, study, and study some more. I wish you the best of luck. Right after I said, "I haven't had a fish die in years." I bought a Copperband Butterflyfish that didn't make it out of quarantine. Sometimes it's not your fault. Also, I've been in several LFS that it looks like the fish have been dipped in powdered sugar. I'll just say to my wife, "I won't buy anything in here." and walk out. Butterflyfish, tangs, and angels are more prone to disease than other fish and you should wait until you are more experienced and have an established tank to buy them.

OP
OP
P

Panda500120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for your help. unfortunately shortly after i posted here all of my other fish have passed :[ i feel like a horrible keeper.......i am.........but i will use this as a learning vessel. i've been doing research and i've found that some people added 2 products to reef aquariums.

1)Ich Attack 100% organic
2) Garlic Guard

should i add these to my display tank while i'm waiting for those 8 weeks to pass? or is this a risky move?

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, people add those when trying to medicate a sick fish. now that you have no fish, there is absolutely no need to use. the best thing you can do now is just wait. the ich will die off on its own. it needs a host to survive

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you arent a horrible keeper, you just werent informed of the proper way to do this. even after years in this hobby i still make mistakes and have alot to learn. like said above, sometimes fish die and its not your fault, its just the nature of this hobby. i feel like as long as you do your best to keep the fish happy and try your hardest to do the right thing, thats all that matters. i agree that your lfs should have helped you more. i know its not their job to interrogate everyone that comes in, but unfortuneately you learned the hard way. best of luck to you, and stay on the forums… lots to learn here

OP
OP
P

Panda500120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, people add those when trying to medicate a sick fish. now that you have no fish, there is absolutely no need to use. the best thing you can do now is just wait. the ich will die off on its own. it needs a host to survive

thanks Dana, and everyone else who helped! this was very helpful and very much a learning tool! i'll wait out those 8 weeks(went with the ladder) will my corals be fine? ich doesn't affect them does it?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep testing for ammonia and nitrites. The solution to pollution is dilution. Keep doing regular water changes - extra water changes if ammonia is detected. Wish you luck keeping your other critters alive.

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna do fine Panda. This is just one of those learning curves that happen to MOST new to salt...whether it be reef or fish only. You will never make that mistake again.....does not make you a 'horrible keeper'....makes you a 'noob' is all. :smile:
I will be anxious to read about your successes down the line

MelissaKathryn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree whole heartedly. I'd also point out that it seems to me the LFS that's selling butterflyfish and pipefish to a person with a 3 week old tank is unscrupulous and has no regard for the fishes welfare.

I completely agree with you guys! It sounds like a really dishonest LFS! The owner was perfectly fine with letting fish stress that much?? No way! When you are ready, I would take your business somewhere else!

LVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. I went through the same thing years ago when I started, I know it's not fun to go through. I agree with the others too, when you do get ready for fish again, go to a different fish store. Good luck to you in the future.

MelissaKathryn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't a horrible reefkeeper! Butterfly fish don't usually do that well in captivity, certainly not in a small tank and certainly not in a new tank! Pipefish are extremely difficult, and it usually isn't a good idea to have a maroon clown with two ocellaris because maroon clowns can be agressive, while ocellaris are probably the least aggressive clowns. I know I sounded harsh just now regarding that LFS owner/employee that helped you, but it is not only an indicator of someone "just trying to make a sale" unethically, but it could also be an indicator of employees that aren't competent and/or a LFS that doesn't care for their fish very much and, in turn, probably doesn't take care of their OWN fish. So, even when you are ready for fish, I was saying not to purchase any from that particular LFS because the fish are probably not well-off to begin with, not well-cared for at the shop, and will already be sick by the time they get to your home.

It sounds like you already have a good idea of how to proceed forward regarding the welfare of your tank. In the meantime, I would stop by a couple other LFS, maybe look at the regional threads in this forum and find some other fellow hobbysts in your area on this site and ask THEM where they like to shop. Perhaps, when you are ready, you can meet this fellow hobbyst at the LFS (s)he recommends and (s)he can introduce you to the shop's owner and help you pick out healthy specimens. This way, you will get to know the OWNER whose pride and joy is his/her shop and this hobby and will be getting your information straight from the source. Having a loyal customer with you will not only insure the LFS honesty (because they wouldn't want to lose a loyal customer, especially one that is bringing referrals!), but it makes the both of you look wise and commands a bit more respect. More importantly, it will insure that you have a much better start in this really rewarding hobby.

Again, I am so sorry you were fed misinformation and were sold those fish. Their first questions should always be: what is the size of your tank and how established is it? Your tank is too small for butterfly fish, and a cleaner wrasse too most likely because there won't be enough other fish for them to clean and from which to receive food. If your shrimp makes it, that is wonderful! If not, try not to feel too horrible because your tank wasn't ready for one, either.

In the meantime, if you want a reef tank, you can invest in some quality trace elements like calcium. Just follow directions on the bottle. This way, you are more likely to get a start growing the good algae, like coraline algae, and if you end up with rock covered in what they call "hair algae" commonly, get a few blue-legged hermit crabs and more turbo snails. Iodine is another trace element that may be good to start adding in a month or two, if your corals are still around.

I hope that all made sense. I'll try to sum it up for you:

--Find a new, reputable LFS (one that will help you even if you aren't ready to make a purchase that day)
--Wait about two months before adding any more fish (you already knew this)
--In about a month, you could start adding trace elements like calcium and iodine (as per instructions) to help create a very healthy tank for your corals and other organisms
--In about a month, you could start adding more turbo snails and blue-legged hermit crabs. (You also want to toss in a few extra shells for them to move into. Otherwise, they might go after your snails and other hermits for their snails.) Look for snails and crabs with shells that have the purple coraline algae, so the proper algae is more a likely to seed all around your tank!
--After you add fish, you can add "sand sifting" snails (ex: nassarius) and other hermit crabs (red legged and others) to be your "clean up crew"/ janitors and keep your tank clean of detritus (wastes), uneaten foods, etc. to keep your nitrates and nitrites and ammonia down. I would wait for adding shrimp because they are more expensive and usually less hardy.

This is just my opinion and what I, too, hard to learn the hard, painfully patient way, but, when you DO add fish, they will be added to a very happy and healthy environment!

I hope you don't give up and stick with this actually very rewarding hobby! It is just absolutely fascinating how every organism has a niche and does something to make the aquarium successful! I, too, can't wait to see how well your tank looks in a few months! Please keep us posted!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back