Problem with Skimmer not working, tripping Apex

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday the power in my tank started freaking out, shutting off, turning on then a minute later shutting off..repeat...
I have an Apex fusion, so I reset it, but that did nothing. Then I turned off everything except the return pump...skimmer, Wav's, reactor, everything was good. Turned on each thing individually, turns out it was the skimmer causing the issue. When I turned the skimmer back on, it didn't come on, on the Apex app it said "auto" then it said "off", I assume it died.

Anyone know what could be wrong with the skimmer to cause it to trip the power every few seconds? Bad pump? I mean, there isn't much else to this thing, right?
It's a Reef Octopus Regal 250 SSS, I bought in Dec 2017, so it's still under warranty..but while I wait for reply from the company, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has had this same issue.

I have to say, thank god for the Apex, who know what could have happened if it tripped the house circuit that runs the entire tank! The Apex trying to reset it self repeatedly, is what set off the alarm bells!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try plugging it directly into regular outlet.
Any stray voltage?
Have you cleaned the skimmer pump?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will add keep an eye on tank temp if you suspect a bad pump.
Your tank should be plugged into gfci protected outlet, paired with a ground probe in tank.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will add keep an eye on tank temp if you suspect a bad pump.
Your tank should be plugged into gfci protected outlet, paired with a ground probe in tank.
Temp is fine. The pump is in the skimmer and the skimmer is currently off. What is a ground probe? I don't think I have one of those.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above. Not even sure why I would want my skimmer running through my APEX
I have everything plugged into the Apex Fusion which conveniently lets me communicate via Alexa for the feed cycle, shuts off the pumps including the skimmer all at the same time and turns back on in some set amt of time. Also keeps all of the wires hidden under the tank in the cabinet, mounted up and away from the sump.

Is there a reason not to have it set up this way?

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try plugging it directly into regular outlet.
Any stray voltage?
Have you cleaned the skimmer pump?
I'm going to try this to see if it comes on at all. How do I know if there is stray voltage?
The pump is inside the skimmer, I'm not even sure how to clean it out, I've cleaned the skimmer itself.

A whole different issue....I'm not even sure the skimmer is doing anything when it is running, it's been a constant pain, sometimes overflowing, other times it's empty for far too long, it vibrates when it's set to where it should be, turn it up and it fills up in 2 seconds, down and it does nothing...I honestly don't even know what it should look like when it is functioning correctly. A very expensive mystery....at least the pump is still under warranty!

OH and the overflow probe thing, that lasted about a month, totally useless. It's supposed to shut off if it gets too full, it doesn't, it just overflows back into the sump.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1568500004401.png
looks like this, pump inside, I don't know how to get to it.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome skimmer.
When air passage gets blocked more water goes in and it overflows. Typical dirty skimmer behavior.
I would take the pump out and take out impeller to inspect. Look into Venturi (the part where air hose connects to pump) and pick out with a toothpick or something any calcium or salt build up.Put all parts in bucket with vinegar overnight. Or muriatic acid and you’re done in 10 minutes. You could not take apart and just put entire skimmer in solution. If you’re impeller is not damaged your skimmer will perform like new after cleaning.
You should be cleaning your skimmer every six months or so.

To dial it in to get/collect quality thick brown skimmate you need to take your time, with small 1/4-1/2 turn adjustments. Wait a few hours/overnight before making more fine tuning adjustments.

Stray voltage....
You can check with volt meter.
If you have tank on gfci source, and a ground probe, you will know because it will go off.
A ground probe can be had at most lfs, or online for about 10 bucks. Cheap insurance

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dialing it in is not hard.
A decent, and you have one, well sized dialed in skimmer is worth the effort in lessening water changes alone.
If you can’t dial it in maybe too big for bioload or sitting in wrong water level

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome skimmer.
When air passage gets blocked more water goes in and it overflows. Typical dirty skimmer behavior.
I would take the pump out and take out impeller to inspect. Look into Venturi (the part where air hose connects to pump) and pick out with a toothpick or something any calcium or salt build up.Put all parts in bucket with vinegar overnight. Or muriatic acid and you’re done in 10 minutes. You could not take apart and just put entire skimmer in solution. If you’re impeller is not damaged your skimmer will perform like new after cleaning.
You should be cleaning your skimmer every six months or so.

To dial it in to get/collect quality thick brown skimmate you need to take your time, with small 1/4-1/2 turn adjustments. Wait a few hours/overnight before making more fine tuning adjustments.

Stray voltage....
You can check with volt meter.
If you have tank on gfci source, and a ground probe, you will know because it will go off.
A ground probe can be had at most lfs, or online for about 10 bucks. Cheap insurance

Thank you! I'm going to do all of these things!
It only overflows when I add water to the tank or dial up the skimmer, when I dial to what is probably the best spot, the dial vibrates, which is really annoying and loud, I turn it tiny bit up and it starts filling up, tiny bit down and it will do nothing.

Early on it collected slimy brownish water...after the break in period. Then it started acting up, vibrating, overflowing, not filling at all.

I've started adding water during the feed cycle when the pumps are all shut off, this has stopped the skimmer from overflowing during this time. Other times I find it full and spilling over.

It's in a 215 g tank, sump is 40 g Trigger systems sapphire, it was no easy feat getting that skimmer into the sump, inside the cabinet!
This was my first venture into all of this equipment, started less than 2 yrs ago. Still feeling like a newbie here. I had a 75g SW tank for about 8 yrs before this, running on 2 canister filters and that's it, packed full of live rock. My clown fish are about 10 yrs old now. It was much easier then, lol Currently hating the very existence of filter socks and want someone to make disposable ones, the trash would be much easier than cleaning them out. :D

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing
In sump have water from tank into first chamber with skimmer.
Second chamber with refuge where debris settles out. Then last chamber with return pump.
Would rather clean my sump a few times a year than socks every few days. Think tank is better of for it too.
After reading benefits of, and now experimenting with mulm, do not clean my sump too thoroughly neither

I occasionally run sock when mixing up sand or blowing off rocks, that’s it

Last edited:

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above. Not even sure why I would want my skimmer running through my APEX
One reason is so that it can be programmed to shut down when return pump is off or slowed, like feed mode when sump level rises, or, if part of a recirculating CO2 scrubber, shut down when the pH is too high.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my apex (version without wifi) something similar happened because the network cable was running along with the power cables.
would turn the entire aquarium on and off alternately at random times.
I put an acess point and solved my problem.
The apex is very volatile when there are electrical cables in the house near it.

Hope this helps

Marcelo Bertalha
It's wireless and that entire side of the living room is just the tank, no cables nearby. It has been running fine with no issues for close to 2 yrs until something happened to the sump. Everything is good right now with the sump off. *knock on wood!! I'm going to clean it all out and see if it works, right now it won't even turn on.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no longer blaming the skimmer. My tank just did the same thing and the skimmer is unplugged! I posted under tank emergency, not sure what to do.
I turned off the 2 Wavs and the reactor, so far it hasn’t shut off again.

This is the apex fusion set up

4960C5BE-1BBB-4F12-AE8E-2840BAAB9CF9.jpeg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup
Electric cables interfere with network/information cables. Might be an issue

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back