Problems with brand new G5 XR30s drifting off planned schedule

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting frustrated and thought I'd ask the forum if I am alone since @Tim at EcoTech says there are "no bugs" in their current firmware or software. First of all, anyone in the business of writing code would never honestly make a statement like that. There are ALWAYS bugs! . Plus, I have a knack of breaking other peoples code. Its a gift I have.

Anyway, I am seeing my lighting intensity drift off the defined schedule. Not sure when it happens, but when I wake up in the morning the 3 lights I have setup so far for testing (there are 2 more) are out of sync with each other AND out of sync with the program. See attached photo. I suspect its happening all day long but its hard to notice with high intensity settings. But its real obvious right near the end of the day and during moonlight. Last night the lunar schedule was enabled. It was a crescent moon and the lights were barely on. When I woke up at 6am the daytime LEDS were on intensity near 1-2%. The first daytime point doesn't occur until 8am so everything should still been the way they were last night.

This has happened every night this week since I started testing with these 3. If I press Resume Schedule they all sync back up with the program I loaded into the lights from Mobius the day before. So that tells me the firmware seems t have a bug and not following the schedule I loaded into the device from the Mobius app.

I pad $4k for these lights and I expect them to work correctly. I am setting up a 400gal reef and am almost done cycling. I want lights that work. This Mobius app feels like alpha software, let alone Beta, let alone Production. Even though I find the quality of this app poor, I can live with buggy software as long as the authors give me work arounds. So far I find none, and like I said, Tim is insisting there are no problems. Well, then I guess I'm just unlucky.

Anyone else able to shed some light or tell me what I am doing wrong?

Lighting problem.jpg

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly what they describe my G5 blue did too. What is new is that one of my four xr30 g5 blue lamps turns on at night as if by magic and only goes out again when I act. my guess .. ecotech can directly access all of their devices that are in the cloud and, if ecotech has problems with the system, we have them too!

OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I found the bug! There are actually two conspiring together that are causing this issue.

When Tim said to me there are no bugs in their software, I thought to myself “challenge accepted” LOL. But this can only be tested at night, so I woke up at 4am today to start working on it. Their prepackaged templates do not have the issue, so I loaded the AB+ and started comparing it to my custom schedule. I had more points than them for sure, so, I tried simplifying mine. No joy. They also had extra points after sunset and before sunrise. That wasn't it either.

Then by accident I noticed their special starter point (the one with a sun icon) had a point intensity of zero. I thought that was weird because why would I want to start with zero. I had mine set to 1% and the next point in 30 minutes set to 10%. Could it be they coded this to expects zero and just cannot handle anything else? I changed my first “Sun” point to zero and BAM it worked. At least so far it has. I will give it a few days to declare this solved but wanted to share this with others now so you can try it too.

So, if anyone is having strange behavior with lights drifting off the schedule at night, for now just check to make sure that special Sun point is zero to start the daylight cycle.

I will be contacting @Tim at EcoTech , and ask him to have his developers test this on their end to confirm the bug. To resolve this, they just need to fix their firmware loaded in the light to handle this situation, or at least ignore it and not freak out. Also, they should change the Mobius app to block a user from entering anything other than zero for that first point. Just like it blocks you from deleting the point.

I have seen many people report similar issues on the forums. I was pulling my hair out for a week also, so I hope this helps someone.

MySchedule.jpg

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve spent hours trying to figure these lights out. I will never buy radions again as they have been a nightmare to program and don’t seem to stay on track with the program. Absolute garbage! It shouldn’t take hours to program lights at this price point. When spending this kind of money on lights they should either be fool proof to set up or come with customer service that will walk you through each step to get these lights working right. Terribly disappointed with this product

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app is definitely unintuitive and difficult to program. I use a Fluval light on my fresh water tank that is miles ahead of Mobius, at 1/4 the price. I have resisted complaining on the forums because I really like the lights, but after a year I am close to my wits end with the app.

Just wait until it doesn't recognize your tank and you need to start all over.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this explains why my lights were off this morning when they should’ve been on, and why they we running about an hour (or -1 setting) behind.

How I fixed mine: restored from backup and resync’d the clock (it was slow by 5 minutes). Guess we’ll see if this holds for tomorrow...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve spent hours trying to figure these lights out. I will never buy radions again as they have been a nightmare to program and don’t seem to stay on track with the program. Absolute garbage! It shouldn’t take hours to program lights at this price point. When spending this kind of money on lights they should either be fool proof to set up or come with customer service that will walk you through each step to get these lights working right. Terribly disappointed with this product
And don’t forget that when you save a template you should be able to reload it without having to reset the times on all the intervals...

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Having same issue here with 4 XR30 G6.
Every day. Resume schedule sometimes fixes the problem, most times it doesn’t.

Attachments

• E7522E8A-0BA4-414E-A110-CA6A78B208C3.jpeg
    E7522E8A-0BA4-414E-A110-CA6A78B208C3.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having same issue here with 4 XR30 G6.
Every day. Resume schedule sometimes fixes the problem, most times it doesn’t.
There are absolutely no problems with Ecotech Radion lights for the Mobius software. It all works perfectly. There must just be something you're doing wrong. At least that's what Ecotech always tells everyone when they report this same problem and many others. ‍LOL

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
There are absolutely no problems with Ecotech Radion lights for the Mobius software. It all works perfectly. There must just be something you're doing wrong. At least that's what Ecotech always tells everyone when they report this same problem and many others. ‍LOL
“It’s a feature, not a bug”

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this here every 2 days with my 4 Radion G5 Pro. I have to unplug it and plug it back in, then it works again...until next time. We're so blessed with these great lamps, aren't we?

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I want to add, I've reached to Ecotech 3 times through their chat feature on the app and not 1 time they've gotten back to me.

OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hope they don't pull the plug on ecosmart live. I have 8 devices and do not use mobius. Just too many reports of mobius "features" causing issues.
Well luckily they just announced the mxm module that will interface the Apex controller with the radeon's again. So for those of us who use an apex the suffering will soon be over with this horrendous Mobius software

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back