Rectangulus triggerfish
Niger Triggerfish
Lawnmower blenny
Hawkfish
Sailfin Tang
White tail Kole tang
Lunar wrasse
Female/Male Clarkii clownfish
My lunar wrasse has been attacked and bitten several times recently and I suspect that it was my Rectangulus Trigger. He is showing aggression to the wrasse, hawkfish, and blenny. These wounds are not superficial and were obviously meant for harm. I have been advised to put him in the sump for 2 weeks before trying to reintroduce him back into the tank. I am wondering what the right thing to do is. Very upset about my wrasse as he will surely be scarred. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In last experience huma triggers are extremely aggressive. I am surprised that he hasn’t killed anyone yet. I had very bad luck with the ones I owned to the point that my wife refuses to allow a trigger in any tank with other fish.

Maybe a time out will work, but my guess is you should rehome him or set up a tank for him alone.

OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I have decided to remove both triggers, the Rectangulus and Niger. Any suggestions for replacement tankmates with my current fish? Thank you

OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny
Hawkfish
Sailfin Tang
White tail Kole tang
Lunar wrasse
I have a Proclear 200. Tank dimensions are listed as 60×26×24. I would like to have a blue spotted puffer? Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401-220944_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401-220944_Chrome.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
M

mellowyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny
Hawkfish
Sailfin Tang
White tail Kole tang
Lunar wrasse
I have a Proclear 200. Tank dimensions are listed as 60×26×24. I would like to have a blue spotted puffer? Thank you for the help.
In addition to the sump and skimmer, I also have a Fluval FX4.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Blue spotted puffer would be fine as you didn’t list any inverts. I have one in a 75 and he does fine. But someone is causing problems with my turbo snails. As I have a melanurus as well it may be him. Wish your tank was 72” vs 60” as I feel the tangs and lunar would benefit from the longer cruising area, but the added width of the tank probably works. I have a lot of suggestions but not sure how they would be long term with the lunar. So might google compatability. I have these fish with everything else you have listed.

Fire Fish I like groups of at least 3
Anthias group of 5-7 but have to choose wisely orange or dispar I believe are easier to keep some are extremely tough to feed

yellow watchman goby pairs with pistol shrimp

tough to add more tangs once some are established but could go with a fox face or other rabbit fish. With the Sailfin I would probably avoid those that look real similar.

Midas blenny, bi-color blenny one or the other avoid the canary as they can be tough to get to feed.

royal gramma

any flasher wrasses or fairy wrasses, check compatibility with the lunar (I think it’s not a problem, but know you shouldn’t get another similar wrasse like a sunset)

those are some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem here is taking away the triggers and leaving the wrasse he will become the dominant nasty one and kill any new additions. I had one for years and while a beautiful fish they ate extrememly aggressive. If he was still eating i wouldnt have worried about the trigger. Hes fast enough to get away and can hide in sand quick. Not sure how long these guys have been together but over time the tide may have turned and the wrasse might have been working the trigger over. Bites and chunks missing go with big aggressive predator tanks. If your looking to go in a peaceful direction i would move the lunar to.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I added my harlequin Tuskfish and broomtail wrasse in a tank with a sunset wrasse I used a mirror on the outside to distract the sunset and now they are all getting along. Sometimes this will work.

zeddiamond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 in. Lunar Wrasse, 4 in. Picasso Trigger, 3.5 in. Lemon Peel Angel, 2.5 in. Midas Blenny, and 2 Snowflake Eels (14 in. & 18 in. Being honest I've lost many fish learning which would become good long term tankmates. In the beginning, My Picasso Trigger was killing many as they slept. He was relentless in his brutal attacks on a male & female Blue Throat Trigger. He likes the Eel ad often sleeps with them, has had disputes when the take shrimp from his mouth, he's fearless. Regarding the Lunar Wrasse, Picasso made it live in fear when i introduced my Lunar Wrasse. But the wrasse is an aggressive eater and a faster swimmer. They now get along, the Lunar Wrasse is no longer afraid, continues to feed aggressively. The only time Picasso chases my Lunar Wrasse is when it bullies the Lemon Peel Angel. Picasso is always patrolling his tank, watching over every one of his submissives. They have all been together for 4 months without a death. I've had my Eels and Picasso just over a year.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 in. Lunar Wrasse, 4 in. Picasso Trigger, 3.5 in. Lemon Peel Angel, 2.5 in. Midas Blenny, and 2 Snowflake Eels (14 in. & 18 in. Being honest I've lost many fish learning which would become good long term tankmates. In the beginning, My Picasso Trigger was killing many as they slept. He was relentless in his brutal attacks on a male & female Blue Throat Trigger. He likes the Eel ad often sleeps with them, has had disputes when the take shrimp from his mouth, he's fearless. Regarding the Lunar Wrasse, Picasso made it live in fear when i introduced my Lunar Wrasse. But the wrasse is an aggressive eater and a faster swimmer. They now get along, the Lunar Wrasse is no longer afraid, continues to feed aggressively. The only time Picasso chases my Lunar Wrasse is when it bullies the Lemon Peel Angel. Picasso is always patrolling his tank, watching over every one of his submissives. They have all been together for 4 months without a death. I've had my Eels and Picasso just over a year.
what size tank is this? Your gonna have a hard time adding anything to that tank. What the picasso doesnt kill the lunar def will.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to eat an absolute TON to be nicer fish. It is not impossible, just hard for most folks. Auto feeder with larger pellets is a good start. If the humu is not growing an inch or two a year, then there is not enough food. They can quickly outgrow a 200 when fed enough.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back