ProClear Cylinder 125

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post a quick build thread as a follow up to my new member post with pics here.

Overall - I am very very impressed with the build quality of the ProClear cylinder. I knew my next tank would be something unique - either a drop off peninsula or a cylinder. The ProClear fit the bill - unique, cylinder as well as plumbing, pump, lighting, top, lid, power strips, and sump already included. The guys at ProClear are top notch and my tank arrived impeccably packed and crated.
In addition to the filtration build, I made a few changes to how the tank arrived - changed the return pump, added some plumbing to make water changes a snap, divided the second sump chamber to make room for macroalgae, and took out the air stone from the main display.
Cons: it takes a while to get one, they are always out of stock. It's acrylic (which I wanted) but if you dont like the down sides of acrylic then this is not for you. Maintenance is challenging in a tall tank. The filter socks are unique to this sump.

My goal for now is a FO system, not a reef - cant really call it a FOWLR with only 6# LR lol.. given the challenge of maintenance and lighting in a tall tank and the amount of time I am willing to commit right now, I decided on decorative coral for aesthetics and lots of places for fish to hide. The undercabinet is a tight but everything fits except my ATO reservoir.

Equipment List: (not oringial list, several edits made. 2022 Updates in post #34.)
Tank: ProClear Cylinder 125g AIO
Return: Reef Octo Varios 8 (the stock one is just adequate but cant beat DC - I use it for water changes now)
Lighting: Stock LED strips 26W RGB x2, added AI Prime 16HD x1
Power Heads: Hydor Koralia 850 x3 (ok, these are crap and start to leak stray voltage, now using Vortech MP10mQD x2)
Sump: built in 16.5g 3 chamber sump – the stock 2nd chamber is for biological filtration, I split it in half with drilled acrylic to maintain flow – left side houses marine pure and acts as refugium, right side is for chemical filtration and UV pumps.
Mechanical Filtration: Chamber #1 - built in filter socks 3.75x8” x3 – I add polyfill to them for additional polish - *Update - replaced with Rimer & Rimer high flow filter cups (awesome)
Chemical Filtration: BRS dual chamber media reactor – ROX/GFO
Biological Filtration: Chamber 2 - 1gal Marine Pure spheres and NOPOX dosing
Skimmer: Reef Octo Regal 150 INT replaces Essence S130
Doser: Kamoer x1 Bluetooth
UV: 25W Ultra Aquaviolet
Heaters: BRS controller with dual 300W titanium finnex heaters
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
ATO Reservoir: Arrow 2.5g slimline water container from Walmart (holds almost 3 gal for $8)
RODI: AquaFX Barracuda 200gpd water saver (I can fill a 30g Brute in about 3 hours)
Sand: 60# arag alive fiji pink
Coral Insert: Aqua Globe
Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystal 5g
Mixing: 30g Brute with dolly
Electrical: Smart life wifi power strip and smart plugs for light timers, GFCI outlet, and remote monitoing of power.
Refug: sea lettuce & Red Ogo (decimated chaeto with vibrant which is no longer in use)
Refug light: Kessil H80
CUC: turbo x3, fighting conch x1 and assorted nassarius, trochus, astrea, nerite, red and blue legged hermits, cleaner and fire shrimp.
*Livestock (updated 2/2021): shoal of blue green chromis, banggai cardinal, pair of ocellaris clowns, red firefish, lemon peel angel, diamond goby, 2 yellow and 1 purple tang, full grown yellow eyed kole, 1M/3F lyretail anthias.
Food: alternating PE mysis, LRS reef and fish frenzy, TDO chroma boost and Hikari seaweed extreme, nori sheets, fortify feedings with selcon.
Fishless rapid cycle with turbo start and Dr Tims ammonia - amazing stuff.

Its been up and running without any major hiccups since the beginning of the year.
For scale - thats a 9' exterior door next to the display.
Would highly recommend this tank to anyone!

IMG_6400.jpg IMG_6401.jpg IMG_6402.jpg Sump (1 of 1).jpg Tank (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Following this build along. Post some more pics. My tank is a FO acrylic as well, 187g in-wall. I really like the uniqueness of your tank. How's the maintenance of the inside panels going?

Last edited:
OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Following this build along. Post some more pics. My tank is a FO acrylic as well, 187g in-wall. I really like the uniqueness of your tank. How's the maintenance of the inside panels going?
Oh man - that in wall sounds cool. Will get some more pics up soon - everything is going great. Inside panels are a breeze with the flipper and NOPOX is making even that minimal. But if you have to reach in to the bottom to flip a snail or something... annoying but worth it. And forget catching a fish in there.

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Seriously considering this tank as my next upgrade soon.
I absolutely love this tank. I would strongly consider it if a cylinder is what you are looking for. Would not be very good for a reef setup. I added a third power head for flow to help with dead spots in the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one enroute for delivery. :)
Awesome!! they are always on back order so congrats on your soon to be delivery. This thing comes crated in wood on a pallet - I was amazed at the care they took in shipping and delivery.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was lucky with timing maybe. I checked 3 sites for price shopping. MAP pricing but Aquatic Sealife had it for less.. The freight company called me yesterday. Coming from Jacksonville FL to NJ. Scheduled for this Monday. Can't wait!!

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool and love the quality of your pics (what kind of camera are you using?). I have the smaller version of this with live reef corals. It was been an interesting challenge but I am very happy with how it has come out. Love yours and wish I had gone with this size. Also your sump and a bit more space and operating room. Congrats and cool looking tank. Cant wait to see how it comes along.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post a quick build thread as a follow up to my new member post with pics here.

Overall - I am very very impressed with the build quality of the ProClear cylinder. I knew my next tank would be something unique - either a drop off peninsula or a cylinder. The ProClear fit the bill - unique, cylinder as well as plumbing, pump, lighting, top, lid, power strips, and sump already included. The guys at ProClear are top notch and my tank arrived impeccably packed and crated.
In addition to the filtration build, I made a few changes to how the tank arrived - changed the return pump, added some plumbing to make water changes a snap, divided the second sump chamber to make room for macroalgae, and took out the air stone from the main display.
Cons: it takes a while to get one, they are always out of stock. It's acrylic (which I wanted) but if you dont like the down sides of acrylic then this is not for you. Maintenance is challenging in a tall tank. The filter socks are unique to this sump.

My goal for now is a FO system, not a reef - cant really call it a FOWLR with only 6# LR lol.. given the challenge of maintenance and lighting in a tall tank and the amount of time I am willing to commit right now, I decided on decorative coral for aesthetics and lots of places for fish to hide. The undercabinet is a tight but everything fits except my ATO reservoir.

Equipment List:
Tank: ProClear Cylinder 125g AIO
Return: Sicce Syncra ADV 7.0 (the stock one is just adequate - I use it for water changes now)
Lighting: Stock LED strips 26W RGB x2, added AI Prime 16HD x1
Power Heads: Hydor Koralia 850 x3
Sump: built in 16.5g 3 chamber sump – the stock 2nd chamber is for biological filtration, I split it in half with drilled acrylic to maintain flow – left side houses marine pure and acts as refugium, right side is for chemical filtration and UV pumps.
Mechanical Filtration: Chamber #1 - built in filter socks 3.75x8” x3 – I add polyfill to them for additional polish
Chemical Filtration: BRS dual chamber media reactor – ROX/GFO
Biological Filtration: Chamber 2 - 1gal Marine Pure spheres and NOPOX dosing
Doser: Kamoer x1 Bluetooth
UV: 25W Ultra Aquaviolet
Heaters: BRS controller with dual 600W titanium heaters
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
ATO Reservoir: Arrow 2.5g slimline water container from Walmart (holds almost 3 gal for $8)
RODI: AquaFX Barracuda 100gpd
Sand: 60# arag alive fiji pink
Coral Insert: Aqua Globe
Salt: Instant Ocean 5g
Mixing: 30g Brute with dolly
Electrical: Smart life wifi power strip for light timers, GFCI outlet
Refug: sea lettuce & Red Ogo (decimated chaeto with vibrant which is no longer in use)
Refug light: Kessil A80
CUC: turbo x3, fighting conch x1 and assorted nassarius, trochus, astrea, nerite, red and blue legged hermits, cleaner and fire shrimp.
*Livestock (updated 2/2021): shoal of blue green chromis, banggai cardinal, pair of ocellaris clowns, red firefish, lemon peel angel, diamond goby, 2 yellow and 1 purple tang, full grown yellow eyed kole, 1M/3F lyretail anthias.
Food: alternating PE mysis, LRS reef and fish frenzy, TDO chroma boost and Hikari seaweed extreme, nori sheets, fortify feedings with selcon.
Fishless rapid cycle with turbo start and Dr Tims ammonia - amazing stuff.

Its been up and running without any major hiccups since the beginning of the year.
For scale - thats a 9' exterior door next to the display.
Would highly recommend this tank to anyone!

IMG_6400.jpg IMG_6401.jpg IMG_6402.jpg Sump (1 of 1).jpg Tank (1 of 1).jpg
That is beautiful!

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool and love the quality of your pics (what kind of camera are you using?). I have the smaller version of this with live reef corals. It was been an interesting challenge but I am very happy with how it has come out. Love yours and wish I had gone with this size. Also your sump and a bit more space and operating room. Congrats and cool looking tank. Cant wait to see how it comes along.
Thank you! I use a Canon 7DII and a couple different lenses - mostly the sigma 100 macro for the tank. The sump space is tight in this for sure. Looking at the specs though its only 5" wider in the sump and 6" wider in the cabinet - so really not much more room on either side of the sump. Ive been able to squeeze in a skimmer, ATO, temp controller, varios pump controller, 1L NOPOX and a doser, a UV and a full size dual media reactor and a light for the macros. The only thing outside the cabinet is the ATO reservoir. It's certainly not winning any awards for tidiness or cable management - lol.

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what light do you have up there and how is it mounted?
The main tank are the two LED strips that came with the tank and an AI prime 16HD nestled between the two right in the middle of the tank - I think it gives it a little more natural lighting than the oversaturated stock lights - plus I light the ramp up/down for sunrise and sunset - not sure my fish really care though :)
The fuge light was a pretty good amazon grow LED, now a Kessil H80.

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STUNNING! I love looking at cylinder tanks. I would not want to clean it but I will happily watch you do it. They are fun tanks to watch fish swim. This is a show stopper for sure. Congrats
follow me swimming GIF by Underdone Comics

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STUNNING! I love looking at cylinder tanks. I would not want to clean it but I will happily watch you do it. They are fun tanks to watch fish swim. This is a show stopper for sure. Congrats
follow me swimming GIF by Underdone Comics
Thank you! I do love it

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the tank... all are fat, happy and thriving. The only thing they chase are each others poo.... you'd think they never get fed - LOL! The only mechanical updates is a beefier skimmer - RO Regal 150 INT. The clowns are growing quick and to my surprise the female starting to turn a beautiful black. I cant tell if she's a black ocellaris or a black photon.
Tank 3_2021 1.jpg
Tank 3_2021 2.jpg
Tank 3_2021 3.jpg
Tank 3_2021 4.jpg
Tank 3_2021 5.jpg
Tank 3_2021 6.jpg
Tank 3_2021 7.jpg
Tank 3_2021 8.jpg
Tank 3_2021 9.jpg
Tank 3_2021 10.jpg
Tank 3_2021 11.jpg
Tank 3_2021 12.jpg

Clowns Now:
Tank 3_2021 13.jpg
Tank 3_2021 14.jpg

The Clowns when purchased:
First Tankmates (6 of 6).jpg

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pictures are magazine worthy. Absolutely saturated in color. Wow - best post I could open to drink my morning coffee.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back