Prodibio Biodigest question

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60.2 waterbox marine setup. It has been setup for 4 months now. Mixed reef (few sps, lps, and zoa's) with a good amount of bioload in it. Running a bubble magus 5 skimmer. 25 percent water change every 2 weeks.
My phosphates were checking in at .05 with Hanna and nitrates at 4ppm with Red Sea test kit. Everything is growing great and colors are great. I would love to maintain those levels and try to avoid the levels rising in the future. I have been reading about Biodigest in the past and considered using it to maintain the nutrient levels. Would this be a good consideration to start using and get ahead of the game, or Is this a product that should be used when the levels are higher and need to be dropped significantly? If not Biodigest, Is there some other product that will help achieve my goals? Thank you

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using Biodigest to help revive my tank following a “crash.” At the time, I thought I had some wild nutrient problem as nitrates spiked to around 80ppm, but what I think really happened was that I switched to inferior LED lighting from metal halide, and the coral were dying... the coral weren’t dying from the spike, they were causing it from dying! This was in the early days of LED and so I was one of those folks who learned the hard way that not all LEDs are created equal.

By the time I switched to a good light, my tank was basically a FOWLR, and I was in no hurry to pour a ton of money into frags without knowing my chemistry was rock solid. So, I started using Biodigest, every two weeks, but I also bought some small pieces of cured live rock, and I bought a small bag of live sand and added it to my existing bed. My goal was to add as much beneficial bacteria and with as much diversity as possible. It worked (maybe not it alone, but I got back to the parameters I was shooting for).

I continued dosing for a while, and then once I started adding more livestock, switched to BioClean, which is basically carbon dosing. I increased water changes and vacuumed the sand once a month, and I got my nitrate and phosphate very dialed in. I am about 1ppm nitrate and 0.06 PO4, which seems to work well for me.

I haven’t dosed either in months, and my levels are not moving. However, I just watched BRS’ video on heterotrophic bacteria and I do have a small bubble algae problem. I’m considering doing a 9-week treatment of Vibrant just to see if it has a positive effect. Doesn’t seem it hurts much of anything and at a minimum, it will further diversify my bacterial population.

Bottom line, I like the Prodibio products and I feel they contributed positively to my situation. You should maybe wait and see if there are other opinions before you pull the trigger, but these two products get my vote.

Hope this helps!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back