Profile of a Reef Aquarist (#5)

R2R Articles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Forum member @cancun has had reef tanks for the past six years. Because of either extraordinary skill or extraordinary luck or some combination, during those six years, she has had very few problems with her tanks. This is her story. She also has a terrific build thread you can read.

All the photos below are courtesy of @cancun, and used with permission, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Former 80-gallon tank.
r2roldtankcancun.jpg

Current Stock List in New Tank Below

1. Red Coris wrasse
2. Earmuff wrasse
3. Yellow Coris wrasse X 2
4. Blue star leopard wrasse X 2
5. Meleagris leopard wrasse X 2
6. Moyer's leopard wrasse
7. Male melanurus wrasse
8. Solar fairy wrasse
9. Purple tang
10. Flametail blenny
11. Flame angel
12. Midas blenny (new)

Tank Parameters

NH3/NH4 - 0
NO3 - 5ppm
NO2 - 0
pH - 8.3
KH - 11.5
CA - 420

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt...and have for at least 5 years.

My PAR is a little less than in my SR80 because it wasn't as deep. I get 200 at the sand level.

Unpacking new tank.
r2rcancunnewtanksetup.jpg

When did you set up your first tank?

First I always wanted to be a marine biologist since I was five years old. My parents took me snorkeling in Akumal, Mexico a few years later, and my love of all things ocean grew. Fast forward many years. In July 2013 I decided a hobby would do me good. My husband and I are avid scuba divers and love the ocean. I always wanted a saltwater aquarium.

I set up my first tank in July 2013 to see how I liked it. It was a 29-gallon Biocube. I had a mixed reef, one clownfish, six-line wrasse, coral beauty, and a pink spotted goby. I was not successful at keeping anemones in that tank. It was a huge learning experience for me. Keeping good water parameters while learning about saltwater chemistry, fish, inverts, and coral was a real challenge. I read tons of books and learned everything I could. I loved it. I checked my water daily, and bought RODI water and salt water from my LFS. Had some up and downs but no disease issues or disasters to report.

So in June 2014, a year later, I upgraded to an Innovative Marine SR 80. It was a 80-gallon AIO tank, 4 feet long and 16 inches deep. In that tank I was able to really learn and master caring for more difficult fish species such as leopard wrasses, carpet anemones, and clams.

When I first set up my 80 gallon I was still buying RODI water and salt water from my LFS. In 2016, I started making my own RODI water and saltwater using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. At that time my knowledge of water chemistry really took off. It was so much easier to maintain stable water parameters when making your own water.

Then, in January 2019, I upgraded to the Red Sea Reefer 750 [liter] XXL. Which is 200 gallons total. 160 in the display and a 40-gallon sump. I absolutely love having a sump and a larger tank. All of my fish came with me from the 80 gallon to the Red Sea Reefer. Including my corals. I did add a second Moyer's leopard wrasse, a flame angelfish, and a China wrasse. I also added two new Acan colonies.

Tell me about your philosophy of reefkeeping.

My philosophy about reef keeping is to read, read, and read some more. I have tons of books I read and reference. I also believe in consistent tank maintenance. I love my LFS, they are great and have a wealth of information. However you have to keep in mind they are also running a business. So always research fish, inverts, etc. on your own.

I do a 10% water change every single Sunday. I never miss a water change. I don't over stock, over stocking even a 200 gallon leads to fish aggression, and poor water conditions. I also am a bit OCD when it comes to clean glass on my tank... LOL. Watch your tank every day. Just sit in front of your tank and observe your fish and coral on a daily basis. While doing that check your tank thermometers to make sure everything is functioning properly. It is just a daily routine that I do, and it is actually very relaxing and enjoyable.

Moving everyone into the new tank. January, 2019.
r2rcancunsettledin.jpg

Do you quarantine?

No, I am one of the few that does not quarantine. Years ago when I had my 80 gallon, I gave it a try and lost the fish in quarantine. They weren't sick either. I buy fish from only one LFS in my area. They are more expensive than most other LFS in my area, but their healthy fish are worth it. I NEVER buy fish or other livestock online. Also I only buy fish out of their coral tanks because their salinity is 1.025 which matches mine. I still drip the fish 45 minutes before putting in my tank though. I feed my fish a cube of Mysis twice a day, and two sheets of Nori. I soak the second cube in Selcon each day.

New Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL March, 2019.
r2rcancunftsmarch.jpg

Tell me about the ups and downs--any big mistakes or big problems or big happy surprises?

When I had my 80, I had a few months where I decided to try ordering online. Every fish I tried died within a few days after acclimation. I couldn't figure it out. I was so upset. It turned out their salinity was a lot lower than mine. I even followed their step by step acclimation instructions. I figured out there is no way you can raise salinity on a fish from 1.018 to 1.025 in one to three hours following their instructions. I learned a hard lesson. That was back in December 2015 through February 2016. I almost got out of the hobby I love because of that.

Cyanobacteria is another one. I had that issue in 2017 in the 80 gallon. I tried everything: siphoning, large water changes, and nothing worked. Then I tried Chemiclean. Follow the directions....one scoop per 10 gallons, remove carbon, leave skimmer running, and do a 20% water change in 48 hours. All gone!

An anemone.
r2rcancunnem.jpg

The last issue I had was last June, I had a bacterial infection in my tank that killed a tank-bred Singapore angel, a bicolor angel, a Midas blenny, and a Potter's leopard wrasse. All were long-time residents. I am not even sure what happened.

I always keep spare heaters on hand and had them go out from time to time. No other issues that weren't easily fixed. My husband is handy at fixes.

New Midas blenny.
r2rcancunnewmidasblenny.jpg

My happy surprise in my 80 I was to be able to successfully combine 2 yellow Coris wrasses, 2 blue star leopard wrasses, 2 Meleagris leopards, and 2 Moyer's leopards. I added them at different times, not at the same time. I was happy that it worked out! I have 14 wrasses in my tank, and I am thrilled how peaceful my tank is. Mixing wrasses is very difficult, so it took me several years to gain enough experience to be able to do it. Remember the six line from my Biocube? In my 80 he turned into a nightmare fish. I rehomed him. Then I had a blueside fairy wrasse and checkerboard wrasse that did the same thing. Also a blue headed wrasse that killed my old China wrasse. So I learned a lot since then. No Thalassoma wrasses and no lined wrasses in my tank!!!!

New Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL end March, 2019. Everything is stable 60+ days after set up.
r2rcancunhappy.jpg

Any future plans for the tank?

No big plans for the tank....but as far as livestock, I plan at some point to add a Red Sea regal angelfish and a Kuiter's leopard wrasse. Also, I will add some more Acan colonies when I see some I like. I don't add frags at all, I save my money and buy colonies.

Video of the new tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Cynthia White

Cynthia received her BA in English from NYU a long long time ago. She has been a freelance writer and editor for over 20 years. In 2018, she won the President's Award from the Professional Writers Association of Canada. Now she is a writer and editor on staff at R2R, where her forum nickname is @Seawitch. She lives on Vancouver Island with her husband, three special-needs dogs, and three saltwater aquariums being set up.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article Seawitch thanks so much for taking the time to share it. Your tank looks absolutely gorgeous. I've been keeping saltwater for decades and also don't quarantine, I know that is an unpopular decision and am not trying to advocate anyone else do that, just found it interesting that you do the same as me, and I have also had amazing luck (is it luck?). Anyway, thanks again.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article Seawitch thanks so much for taking the time to share it. Your tank looks absolutely gorgeous. I've been keeping saltwater for decades and also don't quarantine, I know that is an unpopular decision and am not trying to advocate anyone else do that, just found it interesting that you do the same as me, and I have also had amazing luck (is it luck?). Anyway, thanks again.

Thank you. I don't know if it's skill or luck, but I do love stories of when people have a lot of success.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great article and it’s very interesting to read how others do things

And very nice tank as well!

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article! I'm beginning to think I want to go bigger! Love the leopard wrasses. That is one that I lost in quarantine. I haven't seen many of those in our local stores.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @SPR1968 that's why I like doing these so much. I think it's sooooo interesting to read about how different people do things.... @ca1ore you're right. I hadn't noticed that until I started putting this together, that, yeah, I haven't written about many women. @Greg Gdowski I want you to go bigger so I can watch and document your journey step by step.

Darksidereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I just picked up my reefer last night so I'm reading as much as i can, for "great success". Hopefully you read that in a Borat voice. Can you give me some specs on what equipment if any your running (skimmers, controllers, dosing)

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article - beautiful tank!! Another female reefer here!

why no lined wrasses? and why is the leopard wrasse supposed to be so difficult to take care of? I have a vrolik wrasse (family halichoeres) and was thinking of adding new wrasses as I just upgraded from 75 gallon to 180 gallon.

Re: QT... yes hotly debated discussion. I QT everything before putting in the tank but I do NOT use meds. I do tank transfer (TT) to ensure no ich in the tank. I just found a LFS who does TT for you. I am now only buying fish from him.

How do you find your anemone to care for? I have 2 BTA but was going to add to my anomone family?

thanks!!

zoaplug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Forum member @cancun has had reef tanks for the past six years. Because of either extraordinary skill or extraordinary luck or some combination, during those six years, she has had very few problems with her tanks. This is her story. She also has a terrific build thread you can read.

All the photos below are courtesy of @cancun, and used with permission, ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Former 80-gallon tank.
r2roldtankcancun.jpg

Current Stock List in New Tank Below

1. Red Coris wrasse
2. Earmuff wrasse
3. Yellow Coris wrasse X 2
4. Blue star leopard wrasse X 2
5. Meleagris leopard wrasse X 2
6. Moyer's leopard wrasse
7. Male melanurus wrasse
8. Solar fairy wrasse
9. Purple tang
10. Flametail blenny
11. Flame angel
12. Midas blenny (new)

Tank Parameters

NH3/NH4 - 0
NO3 - 5ppm
NO2 - 0
pH - 8.3
KH - 11.5
CA - 420

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt...and have for at least 5 years.

My PAR is a little less than in my SR80 because it wasn't as deep. I get 200 at the sand level.

Unpacking new tank.
r2rcancunnewtanksetup.jpg

When did you set up your first tank?

First I always wanted to be a marine biologist since I was five years old. My parents took me snorkeling in Akumal, Mexico a few years later, and my love of all things ocean grew. Fast forward many years. In July 2013 I decided a hobby would do me good. My husband and I are avid scuba divers and love the ocean. I always wanted a saltwater aquarium.

I set up my first tank in July 2013 to see how I liked it. It was a 29-gallon Biocube. I had a mixed reef, one clownfish, six-line wrasse, coral beauty, and a pink spotted goby. I was not successful at keeping anemones in that tank. It was a huge learning experience for me. Keeping good water parameters while learning about saltwater chemistry, fish, inverts, and coral was a real challenge. I read tons of books and learned everything I could. I loved it. I checked my water daily, and bought RODI water and salt water from my LFS. Had some up and downs but no disease issues or disasters to report.

So in June 2014, a year later, I upgraded to an Innovative Marine SR 80. It was a 80-gallon AIO tank, 4 feet long and 16 inches deep. In that tank I was able to really learn and master caring for more difficult fish species such as leopard wrasses, carpet anemones, and clams.

When I first set up my 80 gallon I was still buying RODI water and salt water from my LFS. In 2016, I started making my own RODI water and saltwater using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. At that time my knowledge of water chemistry really took off. It was so much easier to maintain stable water parameters when making your own water.

Then, in January 2019, I upgraded to the Red Sea Reefer 750 [liter] XXL. Which is 200 gallons total. 160 in the display and a 40-gallon sump. I absolutely love having a sump and a larger tank. All of my fish came with me from the 80 gallon to the Red Sea Reefer. Including my corals. I did add a second Moyer's leopard wrasse, a flame angelfish, and a China wrasse. I also added two new Acan colonies.

Tell me about your philosophy of reefkeeping.

My philosophy about reef keeping is to read, read, and read some more. I have tons of books I read and reference. I also believe in consistent tank maintenance. I love my LFS, they are great and have a wealth of information. However you have to keep in mind they are also running a business. So always research fish, inverts, etc. on your own.

I do a 10% water change every single Sunday. I never miss a water change. I don't over stock, over stocking even a 200 gallon leads to fish aggression, and poor water conditions. I also am a bit OCD when it comes to clean glass on my tank... LOL. Watch your tank every day. Just sit in front of your tank and observe your fish and coral on a daily basis. While doing that check your tank thermometers to make sure everything is functioning properly. It is just a daily routine that I do, and it is actually very relaxing and enjoyable.

Moving everyone into the new tank. January, 2019.
r2rcancunsettledin.jpg

Do you quarantine?

No, I am one of the few that does not quarantine. Years ago when I had my 80 gallon, I gave it a try and lost the fish in quarantine. They weren't sick either. I buy fish from only one LFS in my area. They are more expensive than most other LFS in my area, but their healthy fish are worth it. I NEVER buy fish or other livestock online. Also I only buy fish out of their coral tanks because their salinity is 1.025 which matches mine. I still drip the fish 45 minutes before putting in my tank though. I feed my fish a cube of Mysis twice a day, and two sheets of Nori. I soak the second cube in Selcon each day.

New Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL March, 2019.
r2rcancunftsmarch.jpg

Tell me about the ups and downs--any big mistakes or big problems or big happy surprises?

When I had my 80, I had a few months where I decided to try ordering online. Every fish I tried died within a few days after acclimation. I couldn't figure it out. I was so upset. It turned out their salinity was a lot lower than mine. I even followed their step by step acclimation instructions. I figured out there is no way you can raise salinity on a fish from 1.018 to 1.025 in one to three hours following their instructions. I learned a hard lesson. That was back in December 2015 through February 2016. I almost got out of the hobby I love because of that.

Cyanobacteria is another one. I had that issue in 2017 in the 80 gallon. I tried everything: siphoning, large water changes, and nothing worked. Then I tried Chemiclean. Follow the directions....one scoop per 10 gallons, remove carbon, leave skimmer running, and do a 20% water change in 48 hours. All gone!

An anemone.
r2rcancunnem.jpg

The last issue I had was last June, I had a bacterial infection in my tank that killed a tank-bred Singapore angel, a bicolor angel, a Midas blenny, and a Potter's leopard wrasse. All were long-time residents. I am not even sure what happened.

I always keep spare heaters on hand and had them go out from time to time. No other issues that weren't easily fixed. My husband is handy at fixes.

New Midas blenny.
r2rcancunnewmidasblenny.jpg

My happy surprise in my 80 I was to be able to successfully combine 2 yellow Coris wrasses, 2 blue star leopard wrasses, 2 Meleagris leopards, and 2 Moyer's leopards. I added them at different times, not at the same time. I was happy that it worked out! I have 14 wrasses in my tank, and I am thrilled how peaceful my tank is. Mixing wrasses is very difficult, so it took me several years to gain enough experience to be able to do it. Remember the six line from my Biocube? In my 80 he turned into a nightmare fish. I rehomed him. Then I had a blueside fairy wrasse and checkerboard wrasse that did the same thing. Also a blue headed wrasse that killed my old China wrasse. So I learned a lot since then. No Thalassoma wrasses and no lined wrasses in my tank!!!!

New Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL end March, 2019. Everything is stable 60+ days after set up.
r2rcancunhappy.jpg

Any future plans for the tank?

No big plans for the tank....but as far as livestock, I plan at some point to add a Red Sea regal angelfish and a Kuiter's leopard wrasse. Also, I will add some more Acan colonies when I see some I like. I don't add frags at all, I save my money and buy colonies.

Video of the new tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Cynthia White

Cynthia received her BA in English from NYU a long long time ago. She has been a freelance writer and editor for over 20 years. In 2018, she won the President's Award from the Professional Writers Association of Canada. Now she is a writer and editor on staff at R2R, where her forum nickname is @Seawitch. She lives on Vancouver Island with her husband, three special-needs dogs, and three saltwater aquariums being set up.

clean set up blok

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article - beautiful tank!! Another female reefer here!

why no lined wrasses? and why is the leopard wrasse supposed to be so difficult to take care of? I have a vrolik wrasse (family halichoeres) and was thinking of adding new wrasses as I just upgraded from 75 gallon to 180 gallon.

Re: QT... yes hotly debated discussion. I QT everything before putting in the tank but I do NOT use meds. I do tank transfer (TT) to ensure no ich in the tank. I just found a LFS who does TT for you. I am now only buying fish from him.

How do you find your anemone to care for? I have 2 BTA but was going to add to my anomone family?

thanks!!
Hi there! Yep another female reefer! Yea! Too answer your questions....lined Wrasses are super agressive. Usually when they are small they are ok, but as they grow the become more and more agressive. In my experience they will not allow any new Wrasses after one has been established.

Leopards are considered difficult because they are delicate after first getting them. They can suffer collecting and shipping damage, and often refuse to eat. Once they are established and eatting in your tank than I don't see them as any more difficult than any other Wrasse. I would always suggest getting one from a LFS and not online. Make sure it is eatting frozen Mysis etc at the LFS before you bring it home. I always make sure they have been at the LFS for at least a week.

As far as nems I found mixing a carpet on one end of the tank and Rose and Rainbow bubble tips on the other end work. I built a island on one end if my tank and my bubble tips like it. My rose bubble tips I have had for 5 years now. They split several times, and I sold a few if them. I currently have the original two.

I hope I answered your questions! If you have any more questions please let me know! [emoji16]

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always pleased to see lady reefers. Not as bad as it used to be, but still waaaaay too much testosterone in this hobby.
You are so right! When I go to my LFS I see a ton of men, and when I do see a woman they are usually following there husband to the LFS. My husband is the one following me! He he! He just stands back and rolls his eyes at the price if stuff! LOL! [emoji16]

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so right! When I go to my LFS I see a ton of men, and when I do see a woman they are usually following there husband to the LFS. My husband is the one following me! He he! He just stands back and rolls his eyes at the price if stuff! LOL! [emoji16]

There is a couple who I see periodically at LFS. Although he is ostensibly the reefer, it’s immediately obvious she’s the brains. Last time I saw her, he was not there .... ‘left him at home’ .... which I found very funny.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back