Profilux 4 wifi specifications

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to upgrade my home WiFi network and I want to optimize performance. I am looking at running only the 5ghz band and only allowing 802.11ac clients to attach to the network. I can't find the specs on my P4's wireless capabilities. Can someone provide them?

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to upgrade my home WiFi network and I want to optimize performance. I am looking at running only the 5ghz band and only allowing 802.11ac clients to attach to the network. I can't find the specs on my P4's wireless capabilities. Can someone provide them?

P4 is 2.4ghz only.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Rather unfortunate news. I was going to ask about number of antennas, if it was a MU-MIMO compatible client, etc.... I didn't realize I should have been asking how thick the string was between the cups :D Just joking, at least it can do wireless I suppose. I can always get the LAN port and hook up a decent wireless bridge.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Rather unfortunate news. I was going to ask about number of antennas, if it was a MU-MIMO compatible client, etc.... I didn't realize I should have been asking how thick the string was between the cups :D Just joking, at least it can do wireless I suppose. I can always get the LAN port and hook up a decent wireless bridge.

I know some must be thinking "that controller doesn't need to pass much info". It's not the controller that concerns me, running multiple bands, having clients that connect at lower grade protocols.. all of these type of things can slow your router and network down to some extent. I have a fiber gigabit connection to my home, have Ethernet to every room and use multiple wireless access points. I pay a considerable amount to have very fast internet / networking capabilities.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd be surprised if the bandwidth used by P4 got any benefits from ac, I run it on 2.4GHz because I need the extra signal strength. The quality of antennas they use likely impacts users given room placement, but I'd be surprised if the newer protocols helped at all. But I wouldn't complain if 5GHz was an option :)

If you can get away without owning any 2.5GHz devices (TV, toys, smart home stuff), you're a better man than me.

Is LAN port an option?

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be surprised if the bandwidth used by P4 got any benefits from ac, I run it on 2.4GHz because I need the extra signal strength. The quality of antennas they use likely impacts users given room placement, but I'd be surprised if the newer protocols helped at all. But I wouldn't complain if 5GHz was an option :)

If you can get away without owning any 2.5GHz devices (TV, toys, smart home stuff), you're a better man than me.

Is LAN port an option?

I think my last post came in write about the same time as this. Yeah, the P4 probably gains now benefit itself from a better wifi connection. I'm just concerned about it degrading my network... and yeah, everything else in my house, smart tvs, smart lights, tablets, phones... everything else can run on 5ghz ac ... several devices cannot utilize MU-MIMO though.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is LAN port an option?

I believe so. Just need to get a PLM-LAN expansion card.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 2.30.05 PM.png

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, considering that's the model that doesn't have a LAN port built in that is really disappointing.

Hopefully, a firmware update will correct that.

I don't think that'll happen for the ProfiLux 4 as GHL has mentioned in previous thread posts. You'd be better off getting a ProfiLux 3.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious, what do you believe is going to be impacted by having a 2.4ghz connection running? What are you doing on your home network that would be impacted to any noticeable degree? If this is truly a concern, build some vlans.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious, what do you believe is going to be impacted by having a 2.4ghz connection running? What are you doing on your home network that would be impacted to any noticeable degree? If this is truly a concern, build some vlans.

I'm probably just being ridiculous but I want to avoid any disruption on the router and having multiple protocols on the same wireless network degrades performance.

I will have to put a manged switch in front of the router to put a vlan tag in place already. This is a requirement of the fiber connection. Nonetheless, I'll probably just use a second router solely for the 2.4ghz.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 6 people and around 30 devices connecting via LAN and wireless that utilize the heck out of my network. I'm just trying to maximize performance as best I can.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right the P4 is Wifi only. So many people have wifi in their homes now.

Why not give the consumer the option to choose between wired or wireless.... after all any wired connection is far more stable than any wireless or bluetooth connection for that matter.

In my opinion the P4 should be compatible with the LAN expansion card. If @Jerel is correct and it isn't then thats a bad call on GHL. Unless there is a good reason why it wasn't made compatible. "Everybody having WiFi" is not a good reason. I mean the doser 2.1 has a LAN card and WiFi so.....

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not give the consumer the option to choose between wired or wireless.... after all any wired connection is far more stable than any wireless or bluetooth connection for that matter.

In my opinion the P4 should be compatible with the LAN expansion card. If @Jerel is correct and it isn't then thats a bad call on GHL. Unless there is a good reason why it wasn't made compatible. "Everybody having WiFi" is not a good reason. I mean the doser 2.1 has a LAN card and WiFi so.....

Completely agree

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back