Profilux P4 connectivity Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right forum/way to ask these questions, but here they are -

I'm considering getting a Profilux P4 controller and after looking at the web site and the manual there are several things I can't quite figure out:
  1. I have a Waveline DC10000 II pump that is 'Apex Ready.' Can this be controlled with the Profilux controller?
  2. What is the DCS Receiver port for?
  3. What is the power failure monitor port for? I assume It monitors the voltage input, but if the power goes out to the voltage input to the port, wouldn't it also be out for the whole controller?
  4. I assume the PAB port is for the 5.1 powerbar. Are the switch/powerbar ports for the STDL4-4 and powerbar 6d powerbars?
  5. What is the Aux port used for?
  6. Does the P4 have the option for a wired ethernet connection, or just WiFi?
  7. If I want to have a leak detector, do I need the separate leakage interface or can it hook directly to the controller?
  8. The PLM-ADIN expansion card lists 4 digital inputs. What's the difference between these and the level inputs on the controller (or the PLM-4Level)?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm trying to make sure it can do what I want (and understand how to do it) before I take the plunge. Thanks!

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding current monitoring, I know it's possible to monitor the current draw of individual outlets, but is it possible to trigger an alarm or to program other action based on an outlet's current flow? For example, send an alarm if the heater or return pump aren't drawing any current even though they are switched on.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch/power bar ports are for the SDTL4-4 and the expansion bar. PAB connection is for the 2.1 Dosers, 5.1 Power bar and the D6 Hub. Did a little digging on there website to get that info, I'll keep digging but I'm sure someone else will chime in with more answers soon

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading thru the manual and website for your answers:) Hope this explains things as best as I can I know the GHL team are going to be at RAP this weekend and may not have a chance to read the forum this week. Wanted to get the info to you and learn myself a few things.
  1. I have a Waveline DC10000 II pump that is 'Apex Ready.' Can this be controlled with the Profilux controller? using a 1-10volt interface to control the pump
  2. What is the DCS Receiver port for? 3.2.11 DCF Receiver Connection A DCF77 Receiver from GHL can be connected to this RJ10 Western socket. The DCF Receiver must be activated so that ProfiLux 4 is able to decode and use the time transferred from the receiver. The DCF receiver receives radio signals from a DCF77 station at Frankfurt. As with any device that works with radio, interference may result from electrical equipment, poor reception, or the like. In most cases it helps to place the receiver at a more favorable place.
  3. What is the power failure monitor port for?Power Failure Monitor/ Line Monitor Port A main voltage monitor (12V plug-in power supply with jack plug) can be connected to this connection.he line monitor (power failure) port of the P4 will exactly offer what you need.

You simply plug in there a 5V-12V power supply with 3.5mm plug which gets its power from the AC socket you want to monitor.

P4 recognizes when the voltage on the line monitor port drops, which means that the AC socket has no power also.

You can define what shall happen then, e.g.:
    - switch certain sockets off
    - change voltage of 1-10V interfaces
    - change pump speed
  4. I assume the PAB port is for the 5.1 powerbar. Are the switch/powerbar ports for the STDL4-4 and powerbar 6d powerbars? The 6D is the same as the 5.1 powerbar only longer. Its the older model powerbar. Look here for the different types of powerbars.Many of them are the older units that GHL users can still use without buying a new powerbar.
  5. What is the Aux port used for? The mini Din connector is for future uses
  6. Does the P4 have the option for a wired ethernet connection, or just WiFi? Just Wif and USB
  7. If I want to have a leak detector, do I need the separate leakage interface or can it hook directly to the controller?Here's how to setup the Leak Sensors for the ProfiLux:

1. Connect the leak interface and sensor to a Level port on the ProfiLux
    2. Go to your Level settings page and select a control circuit.
    3. Set operation mode to “Leakage detection”
    4. Go to the Switch channels and outlets page and select the socket that you want to shut off in case of a leak.
    5. Set the function to “Fill Water”. Select the control circuit number you used for the leak sensor back in the Level settings page.

By default, this socket will stay on. When the leak sensor detects a leak, the socket will shut off.
  8. The PLM-ADIN expansion card lists 4 digital inputs. What's the difference between these and the level inputs on the controller (or the PLM-4Level)? PLM-ADIN card has 2 analog inputs 0 V-10 V, 4 digital inputs While the PLM 4 is just 4 1-10V-interfaces

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks wiser, saved me more digging;)

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I actually did download the manual, but for several of the items it wasn't very helpful "i.e. "This Mini-DIN socket can be used to connect devices with AUX plugs." Kind of obvious that you can plug an Aux plug into the Aux outlet, but what devices are there and can it be used for DIY connections? Sounds like it's not useful for now.

Similarly, for the DCF receiver, Google helped me figure out what the DCF signal is, but is that usable in the U.S. since the signal originates from Frankfurt?

For the power failure port, what's the point of having an auxiliary input vs simply measuring the line voltage? Or is it assuming you have a limited backup power supply for your tank and controller so you can have the controller power down everything except the bare essentials?

I figured out that the p4 is wifi only. Thought I saw a LAN card somewhere, but I can't find it now, so maybe I'm making that up. I actually have a LAN router near my tank, so a wired connection would be nice, but I'm sure I'm in the minority that way.

So the Level Sensor ports (and PLM-4L) are analog inputs? Since they're used with float sensors, it seems like they would be a digital input rather than analog. Either way, if I want to do something like have a switch/sensor on my door to turn on the sump lights it looks like I'd need to use an ADIN card rather than the Level Sensor inputs.

I'm wondering if I'm thinking about these too simplistically - i.e. if GHL has them set up in the background system as more than simple digital inputs.

Does anyone know about using the outlet current monitoring to program alarms, etc? I found a forum post that says no, but it was fairly old, so they may have changed the firmware since then.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float sensors use another type of input a ps/2 port you can add cards to the system to have more sensors if you want to the PLM -4 are 1-10 input card you have to extra ones with that card if you need to add more.

Power failure port lets you program what you want to have run if the power is off

Vegard Myrvang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out that the p4 is wifi only. Thought I saw a LAN card somewhere, but I can't find it now, so maybe I'm making that up. I actually have a LAN router near my tank, so a wired connection would be nice, but I'm sure I'm in the minority that way.

So the Level Sensor ports (and PLM-4L) are analog inputs? Since they're used with float sensors, it seems like they would be a digital input rather than analog. Either way, if I want to do something like have a switch/sensor on my door to turn on the sump lights it looks like I'd need to use an ADIN card rather than the Level Sensor inputs.

Does anyone know about using the outlet current monitoring to program alarms, etc? I found a forum post that says no, but it was fairly old, so they may have changed the firmware since then.

There is a lan expansion card, plm-lan.
A bit expensive i think and uses up valuable expansioncard space.
I wish it was included as you do.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/profilux-accessories/expansion-cards/

PLM-4Level
Expansion Card for ProfiLux and Expansionbox with 4 inputs for Level Sensors or Flow Sensors.

PLM-4level is for digital inputs not analog inputs, same as the ones on the controller.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float sensors use another type of input a ps/2 port you can add cards to the system to have more sensors if you want to the PLM -4 are 1-10 input card you have to extra ones with that card if you need to add more.

Power failure port lets you program what you want to have run if the power is off

I guess my question is whether there's any difference between the level sensor inputs and the digital ADIM inputs besides the plug. If all it is is the plug, it's simple enough to get a ps/2 plug from eBay to make your own float sensor, switch input, etc.

I'm still not getting the power failure port. If there's no power the profilux will be off, too, so what is there to program?

There is a lan expansion card, plm-lan.
A bit expensive i think and uses up valuable expansioncard space.
I wish it was included as you do.

Yes. I wish they had more expansion slots available. I like the concept and flexibility of the expansion cards, but having just 2 + 1 internal is a bit limiting. I know you can buy an expansion box, but that's kind of pricey if all you need is 1 more switch input.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GHL's flow sensors, leak detectors, optical sensors and float sensors plugged into the Level Ports. A PLM-ADIN card is what i use for things that are a simple wire hookup.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as more expansion slots how big would you like the controller to be? When would you stop adding slots? The basic Profilux can use four level switches without any extra cards. You use a ps/2 y splitter to do that. You get into customization for each individual needs. That's why you have an expansion box so that you could add a few cards and run a whole other tank of your same profilux unit. I have seen installs with several expansion boxes running many other tanks off of one profilux. There is a customization for different uses and everyone's needs are different . But you have to have a basic set up and then have a path for others that want or need to do more than the average one tank setup.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at least 3 or 4 externally accessible slots would be nice. Just as an example, if I wanted to add LAN capability, a PLM-ADIN card and an oxygen sensor, I couldn't do it. The Expansion box gives you more room, but it seems like that's more geared to controlling a separate aquarium rather then just expanding options for one tank. From their web site, it appears that there is only one card available that can utilize the internal card slot, so that slot seems kind of wasted.

I just found a reference on their web site stating the DCS clock signal can only be received up to 1500 km from Frankfurt, so that's pretty useless for U.S. customers. An adapter to sync to the atomic clock signal would be nice, but a lot of times that signal gets kind of weak indoors, so that might be of limited use, too.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add it to the Customer Wishes section of their forum. Say a mini expansion box. I just use the computer time sync for the clock.

Thanks for the tip on the Customer Wishes section. GHL is working on probes for Ca and Alk; if those need a separate card (or cards) I'd be willing to bet there would be a lot of people suddenly running short on expansion slots.

If the clock can be synced with a computer than the DCS is really not an issue. Even ignoring that, the manual says it has a built in RTC with a battery backup. Those aren't terribly accurate, but honestly, whose tank needs to have atomic clock accuracy?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back