Programming for a DC pump

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL:DR Do I have the programming for my DC return pump correct if I only want it running at 40% during normal times, and shut off completely during feed modes?

I have a Jebao DC return pump, and I bought the AQ1 adapter in order to make it controllable via my Apex. However, I'm having trouble programming it. Actually, I'm having trouble getting it to work at all, but I have a couple other things to try. I mainly want to make sure I've got my programming correct. I'll start another thread if I can't get the module to work with the pump at all.

The proprietary Jebao controller has 10 lights, sort of like the Vortech MPs. I'm assuming they represent percentages of power. I run it at 40% According to this thread: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?25251-Programming-DC-pump-with-Apex-over-AQLink-A1 I could simply substitute 40 in place of the 90. Correct? So here is what I have programmed in Fusion:
Fallback 40
Set 40
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Is this correct? If I can get the modules talking, this would keep the return pump at 40%? I had a power outage on Thursday, and my return pump came back on and roared all the way up to max power- I didn't have any floods, but everything was so turbulent and noisy that my wrasse buried itself until this morning, and my skimmer went nuts. In the future, I'd like for the pump to recover its programming when the power comes back on. I think the Apex will help with that, but only if I have it programmed correctly. Thanks!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that adapter. I was thinking about it but wound up switching to VarioS pumps which are Apex compatible. Your programming is correct but 40% variable voltage out (4V) from the Apex may or may not translate to 40% output from the pump. You may have to adjust that number, hopefully not much.

I'd also consider reducing your pump's flow without actually stopping them, during feeding. It's anecdotal, but frequently stopping a return pump seems to shorten its lifespan in many cases.

Why did your return pump come back at 100% after a power outage? I'm not familiar with the newest Jebao controllers but I'd think they'd come back at whatever they'd been previously programmed to, after a power failure, like most pumps.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I don't have to do too much adjusting. Stresses me out! LOL!

I'd also consider reducing your pump's flow without actually stopping them, during feeding. It's anecdotal, but frequently stopping a return pump seems to shorten its lifespan in many cases.
Oh, I didn't know that. Hm.

Why did your return pump come back at 100% after a power outage? I'm not familiar with the newest Jebao controllers but I'd think they'd come back at whatever they'd been previously programmed to, after a power failure, like most pumps.
It's supposed to. I think I have a faulty controller. I did buy a new (?) one, but life keeps getting in the way and I never got around to switching them out. Then I got the AQ1 to connect it to the Apex, so it seems a little superfluous now. I keep reminding myself that with cheap pumps can (not necessarily always, but can) come with cheap performance. I don't yet have the funds for a better DC return pump, but it's something I'm keeping in the back of my mind.

Back