Programming "Photo" light setting with Apex

just4plaay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is setup to control both blue and white light channels with the variable ports. I used the wizard to program the lights. In the past I have used profiles / advanced setup and if needed know that I can do this going that route. What I'd like is a virtual outlet called "PhotoLights" that turns on the blue outlet, turns on white outlet, sets white to 40%, and sets blue to 30%. From what I can tell there is no way to do this using the wizard but before I take the time to advance program it all I wanted to know if I'm missing something. Has anyone managed to program a photo or show setting of lights while using the wizard for variable ports?

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will use both the wizard and advanced

I have kessils so these steps are not going to be identical but will give you the concept to use.

I first created a Virtual Outlet (VO) called Coral_Show
I used feed B to activate the VO
upload_2019-7-15_21-3-4.png

Then I created a profile called Coral_Spect
I use a ramp profile
upload_2019-7-15_21-4-12.png

Then in the var/spd outlet you have your normal day to day programming. Then click on the Configuration gear icon, then choose the Advanced Tab and now add the advanced programming then click OK like I have below but use your VO and profile names

upload_2019-7-15_21-1-46.png

OP
OP
J

just4plaay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I should have read that closer. When I saw the advanced tab I assumed that once I switch and start programming in advanced I have to program the whole thing that way.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what lights you have but I am using black box LEDs. My blues and whites are controlled by VDM modules. I created a VO for the blues and whites. When I turn the VO for blues or whites they jump to a certain percentage I set.

You need to go into the dimmer wizard of each VDM Output and go to settings. Then click on advanced tab and put code below. This would need to be done for every VDM Output you want to control. There might be an easier way but I like the flexibility of this.

Put the code as shown and change name of VO to your VO and 56 to what percentage you want.
0dcc6e6aa2fbd8a2a9518009d1d2fb3e.jpg

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the only way to use Feed cycle to get what you want? Its not possible just with virtual outlet, when you turn on then light sets to our desired level and turn off lights go back to normal schedule, there is no such command like

"If VO On then Light On"

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just manually turn the VO on and off then through fusion. The other way was to reference it quickly through a button press on the display(I'm assuming hes using a display).

If no display then the feed cycle has to be intiated through fusion anyways, so adding in the feed mode sort of negates it, other then to switch back to normal after a set amount of time(in case you forget).

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just manually turn the VO on and off then through fusion. The other way was to reference it quickly through a button press on the display(I'm assuming hes using a display).

If no display then the feed cycle has to be intiated through fusion anyways, so adding in the feed mode sort of negates it, other then to switch back to normal after a set amount of time(in case you forget).

I did what you had done, just the VR called PHOTO and programmed the blue light to go off and it seem work just by turn on/off PHOTO VR, auto off in 15 min just in case if i forget.

Now I am trying to see if i can do ramp up and down when i turn on/off so i don't give any shock to tank mates.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you set the ramp without knowing what's the current percentage the lights on, for example let say at around 1pm I trigger the VR to ON where the blue light is at 55%, I need to bring it down from 55 to 0%, then when VR turned off i need to put it back to 55% by ramping up from 0 to 55%

I have no idea how to achieve this.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will use both the wizard and advanced

I have kessils so these steps are not going to be identical but will give you the concept to use.

I first created a Virtual Outlet (VO) called Coral_Show
I used feed B to activate the VO
upload_2019-7-15_21-3-4.png

Then I created a profile called Coral_Spect
I use a ramp profile
upload_2019-7-15_21-4-12.png

Then in the var/spd outlet you have your normal day to day programming. Then click on the Configuration gear icon, then choose the Advanced Tab and now add the advanced programming then click OK like I have below but use your VO and profile names

upload_2019-7-15_21-1-46.png

Question for you, I see you created a ramp profile with start and end intensity, whats the actual effect you see, let say when you trigger your coral_show does the light start to jump to your start intensity (no matter what % its in at that time) and then ramps down? you see the sudden flicker?

Back