Proof of sps lineage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zippy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
75
Reaction score
6
Location
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about lineage and what it means to some. The answers I'm sure will vary from "who cares", to it means "everything". My real question to those who feel it has importance is how do you prove your lineage to a potential buyer? Is your word of mouth all that's required? Do you have some documentation tying it to the origination point? Curious
 
For a lot of people and myself I buy from reputable people and I take them at there word I believe it really is a trust kind of thing
 
I keep a detailed spreadsheet of where my corals come from. I typically order from "known" and respected dealers. If I don't know for certain the lineage on a coral, I sell it as no name, or similar to. I have bought some from sellers on this forum and they had surprisingly detailed history of the coral and it's lineage. Lots of my corals are ORA, WWC, Unique and some from Cornbred. Some use a certain type frag plug but I suppose there is no way of stopping someone from reusing them. Now with all that being said, some of my favorite corals were picked up from local frag meets, and local fish stores. I buy the corals I like based on appearance, although resell is better with a good history, and pedigree. JP
 
I keep a detailed spreadsheet of where my corals come from. I typically order from "known" and respected dealers. If I don't know for certain the lineage on a coral, I sell it as no name, or similar to. I have bought some from sellers on this forum and they had surprisingly detailed history of the coral and it's lineage. Lots of my corals are ORA, WWC, Unique and some from Cornbred. Some use a certain type frag plug but I suppose there is no way of stopping someone from reusing them. Now with all that being said, some of my favorite corals were picked up from local frag meets, and local fish stores. I buy the corals I like based on appearance, although resell is better with a good history, and pedigree. JP

I have several "forgot names" in my tank that I am quite fond of. Some were gifted to me when I started keeping sps and have grown nicely. No clue as to the name and some may not win an American sps beauty pageant. But, I think they look great because of sentimental value. When it comes to names I tend to forget them and use color and form with coral type.
 
For a lot of people and myself I buy from reputable people and I take them at there word I believe it really is a trust kind of thing

I have to say the same here. Know what you want and research it.
 
Bump
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new