prop tank size

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a link to glasscages.com in another thread so I wen't and took a look because I have been thinking of setting up a prop tank, WOW they have every size and dimension available, and the prices are realy good IMO.

IN fact they have so many different sizes I have no idea what to get now lol,
There are a bunch that I am considering, however they come in hights of like 6", 8", 10" and up ...

What do you guys think woudl be the optimum hieght for a zoa prop tank?
I was actualy thinkingit might be smarter to go with the 10" and then use spacers to raise the egcrate if I want to go shallower, that way I have more options, what is you guys opinion?

Also what is better from a lighting and flow consideration, a long narrow tank I woudl probably guess? I was lookign at a square one, but I am thinking a long narrow one will be better flow and lighting wise .... overflow at one end, return and powerhead at other ... etc.

You guys should check out the site - they will build you anything you want it seems like. Nice link , thanks for whoever posted it ( i forget which thread I saw it in)

Ryan

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a square one is nice because you can use a mh pendant and get good coverage.

24 x24 x 10. depending on the coverage of the light your gonna use. if that makes sense.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. I would prefer to do a cube type tank 10" deep with a MH pendant to top it off! :D

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually starting to get into building acrylic frag tanks. I'm in the process of building a 24x24x12 for myself.. it has a false, black back wall ... but it's a rather large tank for me. 24x24 is the best cause you get full use of a MH bulb. As far as the hight .. I go 12 for the added water volume and like you said if you want the light closer you just raise the eggcrate.

I might sell it and build one 18x18x12 for myself ... me and the guy i'm doing this with just built a 48x48x12 coral table for a local fish store and it came out pretty good.

That's why I started getting into this.

Let me know how much glasscages wants for the size you want and i'll see if I can do you something better as far as price. I'll post pics of mine when it's done.

Here's a pic of the one we built at the LFS:

http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=43

it's in flash so i can't post the pic directly but it's the 2nd of the three photos here.

LMK thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here you go I worked a bit of magic...LOL!

Nice Tank!

tank.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would never go with glass cages, very poorly built. cracks and chips in the glass in the corners, poor silicone jobs with air bubbles and very messy jobs.

go with an acrylic set up, much more durable, better suited to the duties of a propagation tank.

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking for the same exact size also. where do you plan on getting yours?

OP
OP
rpogge2

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy in this forum might be building me one, will let you know how it turns out, and if he is looking for more work. Else, I may try my hand at building my own if that falls through. Shouldent be *that* hard with such a small tank, but ... It is usualy harder than I think lol.

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prop tanks should be in dimensions near square because of lighting issues.. I had mine made 13" deep X 59" X 48" rimless perfect for what I needed... Glass cages made and delivered it/ I met them ... good price average build quality... for a prop tank it is Perfect BUT as a display tank I would have issues... Buy elsewhere for display but for utility they are great

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back