Proper dosing of Coppersafe??

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
1,867
Reaction score
297
Location
Blackwood, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up some fish from a buddy about a week and half ago and put them in my QT tank. Noticing my purple tang has small white specks on him. Presuming it to be Ich. I have Coppersafe and a copper Hanna checker on hand. What should I be dosing for a 29g tank??
 
I generally dose 5ml in the morning and 5ml in the evening until I've reached therapeutic levels, but it's been recent practice (and very good practice, I might add!) to either acclimate the fish into 1.0 of chelated copper or dose fairly quickly to that level, then slow down as you move higher. That allows reaching therapeutic levels more quickly when needed, as in the case of velvet. Additionally, if I had the option of doing so (I happen to work close to home) and suspected that velvet was involved, I'd probably dose 5ml into the tank (I have a 40-Breeder QT, so you might want to use 3ml doses if you feel more comfortable doing so) in the morning, at lunchtime, at 5:oo upon returning from work, and just before going to bed. That schedule should get you close to therapeutic levels within relatively few days - essential where velvet is involved.

~Bruce
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new