Proper drill settings to drill a tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,185
Reaction score
3,302
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to drill my tank today. I have the glass-holes 700 overflow/return kits with all the supplies. My tank is a 40g breeder with 1/4" glass. I have a dewalt cordless hammer drill (clearly I won't use the hammer function!). So when it's in regular drill mode I have a bunch of numbers to choose from, I'm guessing for speed. What's the ideal setup for the drill? Fast/slow? How does torque play into all of this? I have a lot of options with this drill and want to use the best settings. Any help is greatly appreciated!
 
Also, should I practice on a spare tank first? I've read that this dulls the diamond bit. I've watched a ton of videos on how to do it but I'm still very nervous!
 
In most cordless drills the number on the chuck is a torque setting. Basically the drill will disengage at a certain torque for putting in screws. For drilling a tank you will want to have it set on the drill bit picture on the chuck. Most dewalt cordless have a speed setting on top of the drill usually 1 and 2. 1 is fast and 2 is slow. Can you post a picture of the drill just so we can see it?

For drilling the tank I would set it to the slower speed (2). Go slow and let the drill do the work. Use the weight of the drill and don't push down on it. Make sure to keep water running to keep the glass cool. I normally mark where I will be drilling and tape the inside to keep the glass plug from falling. I also fold up a towel and put it on the other side of the tank incase the plug does fall. The falling plug could break the glass if it falls onto the other side. It's pretty nerve wracking the first time but it's fairly simple and straightforward.
 
I generally set the torque low because ive had a bit grab on the glass and crack it before. At least if it grabs the cluch on the drill kicks in so it can't keep spinning. As for speed it's like the old story the tortoise and the hare slow and steady qins the race and a little bit of pressure let the bit do all the work don't try to force it
 
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's some pics. I love this drill.
 
Yup the "settings" in yellow are the clutch. I have always set it on the drill bit. And the black switch is speed, just play with it and see which is fast and which is slow.
 
Yup the "settings" in yellow are the clutch. I have always set it on the drill bit. And the black switch is speed, just play with it and see which is fast and which is slow.
Thanks! So I've never used this right. Lol. I thought the numbers on the chuck were the speed. I put it on the drill bit setting and I'll check out speeds. Wish me luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new