Proper substrate for YWG/pistol shrimp

Beaker1811

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2021
Messages
25
Reaction score
57
Location
Arkansas
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a sand bed of about 3” of CaribSea Fiji Pink. I am about to add a Yellow Watchman Goby / Pistol shrimp pair and I’m worried that this won’t be substantial enough for them to make their burrows with. Any advice on what I could add and how I might go about mixing it into an already established tank?
 
It won’t be ideal but they will make it work. I have crushed coral and the goby will come out and hunt down empty shells for the shrimp. Keep some extra shells around and the shrimp will use them as supports.
 
My pistol and gobies do fine in 1-1/2” of crushed coral.
 
This big guy always watches the shrimp. The female goby guards the other entrances to the tunnel. They are in 1.5 inches of crushed Coral. They do awesome
 

Attachments

  • 52FBEABE-C5F7-4AA7-9AA2-94E2654F5019.jpeg
    52FBEABE-C5F7-4AA7-9AA2-94E2654F5019.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 255
Add a few handfuls of crushed coral substrate around their burrows. If you have any dry rock left over, crush some down to about 1/4 - 1/2in chunks and add that. My pistol shrimp loves building and reinforcing burrow entrances with the chunks and broken shell bits he collects around the tank.
 
I've actually got a bit of rock left from my zoa garden project that I couldn't figure out what to do with! Perfect!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new