is a 1000 gallon reef tank a good idea or bad idea

• Total voters

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to setup a poll about this then it's probably a bad idea. You and your family should be able to come to this decision. If you're asking 30" height vs 24 or how wide to go ect that is something people on the forum can help you with, but such a general question without any kind of background information leads me to believe this is a bad idea.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money and space were no object, I'd definitely go for it. Pro: inhabitants would have more space to do what comes naturally without feeling trapped to the same degree that they would in smaller systems. Con: being able to reach the center of the tank to place rockwork, corals, etc, and general maintenance would be more challenging.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to setup a poll about this then it's probably a bad idea. You and your family should be able to come to this decision. If you're asking 30" height vs 24 or how wide to go ect that is something people on the forum can help you with, but such a general question without any kind of background information leads me to believe this is a bad idea.
Yea this was my first thought as well. If it was a detailed poll on minute details, or design of the tank thats one thing. But flat out "should I or shouldn't I" is a bit odd.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on if you want to, and can you afford to. That’s a very big tank and I assume you would have some prior experience with smaller systems.

Its extremely expensive depending on the type of equipment your going to use certainly if you go for high end stuff.

I’m currently doing a 530 USG tank, the tank itself was relatively inexpensive, but it’s the equipment that goes in that can cost an absolute fortune and I’m talking many thousands of pounds ($ worse still! Lol).

My build thread link is below and the last pages are the new system, although I’m keeping my smaller one as well and there is an equipment list if you need any ideas etc

If you can afford it, are experienced and want to do it, go for it.

And Welcome to R2R as well!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros= space, stability of water chemistry and temperature.

Cons= cost of equipment to light, skim, move and heat that much water, in addition to how much electricity that equipment will be consuming to do so.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am just curios to know what people think.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am just curios to know what people think.
Great idea if you want to spend $20k+ on equipment. It won’t be cheap and if you also don’t want to support a $300+ electrical bill per month it’s a horrible idea. But if you are not worried about cost, go for it!

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea only if you have a lot of money to burn, if at the end of the day you don't like or can't have it, you'll be stock with it, cause just a few people can buy anything from you.

It sound a lot nicer than it should be.

But if you have the space and money, who are we to oppose?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 300G system a few years ago and simply did NOT enjoy it. A LOT of planning and preparation went into setting up that system, but I never had time to really enjoy the tank. It seemed like I was ALWAYS doing the grunt work, Water changes were a big project, feeding took a lot longer than I would have liked, and the cost was ASTRONOMICAL!

The equipment is FAR more expensive than a smaller system, electricity doubled, water bill inflated, and salt costs through the roof. Then there is the cost of stocking a tank that size. We had around $35,000 invested in the 300g, and we could have spent that much more just to finish stocking it. I cannot even imagine the time, work, and money that would have to be invested in a 1000g system. I do not plan on ever going larger than my current system, a Waterbox 230.6.

In the end we sold the 300g for a whopping $1300. Talk about taking a loss! There are simply not enough people looking for equipment that size if/when the time comes to sell.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 60g cube frag tank and a 10g nano already robbed me of my time through initial setup, planning, adjustments, current maintenance. Constant trips to the lfs, staying home for online livestock shipment... Its gonna be a pain. Your wallet might cry with u if a small crash does take place, I know mine did lol.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make a 1000 g tank = use white rock to save money / dry = get never ending dinos and barely begin enjoying the tank in 2026.

use all tbs live rock=$ and use no sandbed. prepare for inaccessibility. study every tank invasion you can find among the top ten tank wipers, and build your 1000g oppositely. study the attitude of the reefkeeper in those invasion threads, ways they built the tank, ways they were willing to fight the battle and ways they were unwilling to fight, and choose your attitude early, before the build begins and dont wait to discover how you'll handle dinos, cyano or gha in the first few months. leaving them in sounds unwise in a tank so large your whole body can fit in and still not reach the bottom area.

invaders pick the place in the tank you refuse to access/set up shop. get ready

Last edited:

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are talking about a lot of time and money over a long period. If you arent sure you really need to think about it.
i agree lol its not a simple overnight decision like "hmm i think i wanna do a 1000g reef... yea good idea ima do tomorrow". Took me half a year to figure out and calculate if I have enough time and money to set up and maintain a 60g frag tank until it generated enough bucks to cover for itself.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im setting up a 1000 gallon aquarium and i want to know what you think
I have a question for you. Do you have any idea what your are getting into. I had a dream and made it come true. Do you?

I am running a 400 gallon system with stuff I put together myself. I knew exactly what I wanted to do so I went and did it. I did it to make myself happy and it has. Any other reason will fail over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back