Pro's and cons rimless tank

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Its obvious. But a normal 100g vs rimless lowiron glass
Get more hands on deck to help move and place aquarium. May not be an issue for some people. But not everyone wants to participate in moving a 300lb fragile block of Glass
A 300 lb tank is not bad unless you have stairs. It can be moved by 2 young guys. A 300 gallon different story getting 4 young guys together at same time. 90 gallon rimless was pretty easy me and one other senior lifted it onto stand. That is about as heavy as I will do, bad back and I have bleeding disorder so I worry about cutting myself. I sold my 300 gallon cheap when I moved as I could not move it, so now I have a 90 gallon display. One of the reasons some large tanks are acrylic to reduce weight.
Have DD jump top no clips or magnets it works well.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 300 lb tank is not bad unless you have stairs. It can be moved by 2 young guys. A 300 gallon different story getting 4 young guys together at same time. 90 gallon rimless was pretty easy me and one other senior lifted it onto stand. That is about as heavy as I will do, bad back and I have bleeding disorder so I worry about cutting myself. I sold my 300 gallon cheap when I moved as I could not move it, so now I have a 90 gallon display. One of the reasons some large tanks are acrylic to reduce weight.
Have DD jump top no clips or magnets it works well.
That's the thing though. I am sure the OP has all needed to do the move. It's still a pain in the....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Dutch build tank is getting older and older (132g, 120x60x60 cm) and surely but slowly we have to look into a replacement. I love the look the rimless tanks have. But aside from smaller tanks we have no experience and would like to hear your opinion. We would like to go Max 150x60x60 cm.
have seen so much tanks cracked I am getting nightmares mine does too.
20210808_170843-01.jpeg

Um... your tank looks better than rimless. It is hiding the water line but soooo clean with the light floating over it.

It's beautiful and I would not touch it.

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm with you there. Water drips is something I have to get used to with my recent rimless purchase. The likely hood of fish jumping out is another concern as I lost my 5 year Coral Beauty on the first night! Another thing I have found is the huge amount of evaporation of water, much more than my previous rimmed tank.
HOWEVER after all that I love my new rimless tank. The clarity of the display and easy of maintenance is something I really love about this tank so I would recommend rimless.
Yeah the dripping is always a problem and no way to get around it. Evaporation is crazy on them and I have to put a lid because the amount of water is wasted becomes costly over time. The one scary problem that can happen if there was earthquake the water will spill over can damage a lot of things. Rimless is great for small tanks but not really for larger tanks.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as much as everyone says Eurobracing makes it look ugly it will help keep your tank lasting longer without fear of it busting on you. If Budget isnt a issue i suggest looking at Glasscages they are a awesome company to the point i heard stories from people on here if their tank had issues *Cracks or chips* they replace it entirely/Fly someone out to help.

in the coming months i plan on having a tank built by them

OP
OP
Reefer_punk

Reefer_punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you crazy?

You have a showroom tank that looks great.

20210808_170843-01.jpg

Why would you want to go messing with a new tank?

Is this because you want a new reefing challenge and your bored with your gorgeous showroom tank?

Start a frag tank and sell frags locally....

I'd count my blessings and enjoy the pinnacle of your reefing success.

You go messing with another tank you'll lose coral and a ton of money.

Imo.... enjoy what you got!!!!

Do a shallow look down frag tank but I wouldn't touch tearing down your DT

The tank is almost 10 years old so just in case I am looking to what I should replace it with in time I have a small rimless 50g tank and in both sumps a fragrack with corals for sale.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as much as everyone says Eurobracing makes it look ugly it will help keep your tank lasting longer without fear of it busting on you. If Budget isnt a issue i suggest looking at Glasscages they are a awesome company to the point i heard stories from people on here if their tank had issues *Cracks or chips* they replace it entirely/Fly someone out to help.

in the coming months i plan on having a tank built by them
Do you know if glass cages ships over seas? I think the OP lives in the Netherlands

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is almost 10 years old so just in case I am looking to what I should replace it with in time I have a small rimless 50g tank and in both sumps a fragrack with corals for sale.
I would just check the integrity of the silicon first. Is it getting brittle, or bubbles? But yes. Plan ahead before a seal bursts. some tanks last for 20 yrs. You just have to know what to look for when the silicone is failing. Or, just like you are now. Don't wait for it. Be ahead of the inevitable.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just check the integrity of the silicon first. Is it getting brittle, or bubbles? But yes. Plan ahead before a seal bursts. some tanks last for 20 yrs. You just have to know what to look for when the silicone is failing. Or, just like you are now. Don't wait for it. Be ahead of the inevitable.
I agree some tanks have a very long lifespan. I don’t think rimless tanks were in the hobby 30 years ago, so we’re still keeping an eye on the possible longevity of them. That’s one pro about a rim tank, they have a track record for living over 20,30 years.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree some tanks have a very long lifespan. I don’t think rimless tanks were in the hobby 30 years ago, so we’re still keeping an eye on the possible longevity of them. That’s one pro about a rim tank, they have a track record for living over 20,30 years.
That brace is usually a sign of replacement time as well. As long as that rim isn't cracking, and the silicon is in good shape. I would just save up still for a bigger show tank.

OP
OP
Reefer_punk

Reefer_punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are absolutely right. That is why we are investigating what we would like. And not settling for something just because we have no idea and regret that later.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Local Owned Glass Shop, in my Area will move new tanks, insured. Old tank moving, is not guaranteed. I know someone who had a 220 gallon moved to their basement this way. They also told them not to uncrate it, they handled that too. I wanted a glass top, to handle the evaporation, I’m already running a dehumidifier in the basement. Just seemed like a waste, to be chasing all that water. My local glass shop, cut, and ground the glass to my measurement, all I had to do is add the Handle, Hinge, and Back-strip.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if glass cages ships over seas? I think the OP lives in the Netherlands
most excellent question @NowGlazeIT

we can ship to a US port and from there the buyer arranges the rest of the shipping. Do this a lot actually. all around the world.

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont do rimless again. Aside from what everyone else has mentioned about water drips and fish jumping. I lost so many nerite and astrea snails. They would just climb over the top and die. Only had a few that were smart enough to turn around and get back into the water. Something about a rim stops them. Lol.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon rimless tank 42” x 42” x 24” deep which is made with 3/4” glass that has been running for 6 years and zero issues. The only thing I didn’t like was how easy water would splash over the edge during maintenance. I fixed the issue by taking 1/4” thick glass that 1-1/2” wide and attaching it to the top edge. Problem solved and also gives me a small ledge

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back