Pros vs Cons: Apex AquaController vs ReefKeeper Elite Controller

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex lite and really like it so far(just set it up the other day). Love the options but if you are not tech savvy there is a bit of a learning curve, so it is a good thing their tech support is great :)

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few local reef club members are willing to help me set-up the apex, I just cringe,.... at the total cost of their system.
$500 for the unit, then apx, $200 for each module, so well over $1,000 +.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RKE. works very well for me. I have a total of 4-PC4's, Sl1, Sl2, ALC, Net and a Hub on my system. yes, it has its idiosyncrasies, but to change over, im looking at $1500

FishyPapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which one of these controller do you currently use?
Apex (full)

2. Why did you choose your particular controller?
Options, Reputation, Large support base

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller?
Capable of more than I really even have need for. Great programming help. Neptune very helpful.

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller? None so far

5. If you could change something what would it be?
Add Built-in wifi card. They don't cost that much more. More than just a 2 page manual in the box.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one also. Like you,...$500 !

Do they ever have a sale, or a "Group Buy" ?

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one also. Like you,...$500 !

Do they ever have a sale, or a "Group Buy" ?

I think they just had a sale Thanksgiving.but of course my timing is never on...

Im hoping this lives up to what people say..We shall see

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite ready yet, but maybe they, and I, will for X-mas. Where did you buy yours ?

MHG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which one of these controller do you currently use?Apex

2. Why did you choose your particular controller? Bundled with more features

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller? an idiot can get it working on a basic level and a 5 minute google search and a copy of the full guide can have you programing it like a pro...

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller? with the newer one, not many. The earlier ones had issues with the port locking up. No built in wifi (everything has built in wifi) would be nice, No advanced replacement program.

5. If you could change something what would it be? Have the option to but a refurbished unit as an early replacement, or rent them out for $40 or $50 bucks when you have an issue. The display should have macros that can be programed instead of just a feed button. I would like to see a touch screen bigger display. I know everyone uses their smart phones but the display is useless because you can not fit all the icons on there... Custom icons would be nice. They just came out with a feeder but it has two cables... I would like them to come out with a color balanced top down camera or something that mag mounts to the glass...

Nvizn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 1 RK Elite & 3 RK Lites.

2. Why did you choose your particular controller? I originally chose RK, because at the time, it seemed Digital Aquatics was in the forefront of technology.

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller? Price & ease of use.

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller? Lack of continued research & innovation.

5. If you could change something what would it be? Looking at it today, if I were to do it over again, I would go with an Apex system. If you're looking for a low price system that is expandable and can do just about anything you want, at a low price point, the $120 RKL is for you! If you're looking for a nice, full & elaborate controller, the Apex, is undoubtably, the way to go!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use digital aquatics and love it. It is precise as set and reliable and also compact. The LED's flicker at times but does not change its; operation.

FishyPapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone can go wrong with either of these. They're both better than having nothing. I really got mine because the club members here have Apex so I can tap their knowledge but $-wise the reefkeeper is pretty nice.

Reefgeek1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
APEX!!!! I had a reefkeeper elite titanium for about 2 months...I also set up 4 others for friends upon my advise. Worse decision I made. Temp probes were bad meaning the plug is very poorly put together, pc4 was bad. net mod. bad...Try to get a hold of someone from DA.....good luck..Also setting up the net to access out of network (away from home) forget about it...I had a customer who is a putor wiz who set them all up... Long story short they were nice enough after several emails, and customers calling them they took all controllers back and gave me (us) a full refund... Apex's are all set up on all tanks and man what a difference...Ya the cost was more but well worth it...Dashboard is easy, access fast, and turning things on and off is a breeze....Customer service is perfect.... So.....don't try and save money and go for the cheaper unit...there is a reason why its cost less... I hope this helps anyone needing to make the decision on which one...Take my advise, APEX

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Keeper Lite

Price

its cheap

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller?
where should I start, it came missing probes, took 7 weeks to get ahold of someone to get them replaced, then the temp probe went bad, add another 5 weeks. After talking to Amy a sales person at DA she said they only have 1 tech support guy, they rely on forums to solve issues. You can only have 4 modules on the RKL setup, and their SL2 module with salinity monitor has spent more time off shelves than on since launched. My temp probe still does not maintain calibration, after 3 different probes. So Customer Support is tragic at best, the equipment does not work, at least for me, and it nearly killed my tank when the probe malfunctioned and it displayed 83 degrees and the temp was only 71.

Apex buys them out and RKL and RKE go the way of the Under Gravel filter and coralvite.

alexingalls09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a controller as of yet. I just wanted to share that I do have an android phone and have an app called apex for the apex controller. It would be neat if there was a demo server it could connect to just so see what the app looks like in full scale. Awesome thread

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both

RKE: Price. I also chose it because my friend is a team DA guy. I knew I could get immediate help if needed, and I wanted to show some loyalty to him.

Apex: I didn't chose it. It chose me. I won my Apex in the raffle at MACNA 2013. I was however considering purchasing an Apex prior to winning it in the raffle. The innovation shown by Neptune, and the positive reviews online attracted me to the product.

RKE: Price. Head unit is easier to use.

Apex: Build Quality. USB cables vs. BUS cables (easier for me to unplug and plug back in). More innovative product. Smart Phone app that you can actually control the channels with. (RKE you can only view what's going on and it's a 3rd party app).

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller?
RKE: Koralia pumps in wave maker mode will make the entire unit go haywire. Mine would shut off and turn back on all the time. Connecting to the internet is a more complicated process then it should be. You have to download the firmware, and a bin file which you have to find on your own in their forum.

Apex: Price. My friend that runs reeftronics did a cost estimate for me when I was considering the switch, and the Apex was going to cost just shy of $1,000. Head unit is a little complicated. Programming channels is also too complicated. You have to know how the coding works. Fortunately, I have RussM on speed dial :lol: no really I do :D THANKS RUSS!!!!

RKE: I'd like to see Digital Aquatics make sure that the Koralia issue is addressed. I used my RKE for 2 years and I only had that problem. The changes I would make are not to the controller but to the company making it. I'd like to see them be more proactive in addressing problems with the controller and MyReef. I'd also like to see them be more innovative. They have no new modules to interact with any of the new LED fixtures, or the Vortech Pumps. My team DA friend asked me what I'd like to see change with the Product and my answer was the same. I'd basically like to see DA doing what Neptune is doing. They are being proactive in the industry and making new modules that customers want.

Apex: The only thing I'd like to see changed with the Apex is the programming. It is way too complicated. But that is already on the way with Fusion.

I hope this information helps someone make a decision on a controller. I love controllers and I think everyone should use one. Which ever you chose, you'll ultimately feel the same way.

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex, wouldn't switch it for anything. The only bad thing I can think of is it's very hard to get it up and running on the internet, but once it's up there is no problems. It is pricey, but what isn't in this hobby.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Research and just buy the one with the features you want right now. Both do the samethings as well as some other brands. I have used several different ones in my life.
Right now apex is the hot selling one but in 6 months or a year there will be another brand that is hot, it is the way this hobby is. Everyone will be racing to sell their controller to keep up with the I have to haves. These companies keep leap frogging each other. Anything that is added to one will be added to the other down the road so if one does not have the feature right now it will.

Almost reminds me of the whole Xbox one vs Sony PS4 crap. Fanboys fanboys fanboys. Just plain stupid.

Here is one thing people dont think about with controllers the more you put on them the bigger chance you have of have a major failure. They are computers and do fail. They also are subject to brownout, power spikes etc. they should be on a a surge supressor at a minimum. They all use mechanical relays which fail and have a life span. So the ones that turn on and off the most usually fail first.
Instead of just loosing a pump now you loose your lighting, your pumps, your heaters and/or chillers etc.
I highly suggest not hooking your main circulation pump up too one.

Last edited:

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed but if there is a problem, perhaps a company with more than 1 tech support guy for the world would be wise

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back