Prostar aquarium price jumps

TysonH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been slowly saving up for a prostar rimless aquarium. I've been checking them for months and the 150g was always $1,700 and the 200g was $2,200. Now the 150 is $2,250 and the 200 is $3,150. Why would they randomly jump the prices so high? Turns me away from getting one now. I'll probably go with a waterbox or something now, bc that's just a crazy price jump.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly my bets on they couldn't afford to keep the prices that low. Those original prices were shockingly cheap. And while they are certainly not on the same level quality wise as Innovative Marine and Waterbox there's only sooo long a company can go on offering such low prices.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been slowly saving up for a prostar rimless aquarium. I've been checking them for months and the 150g was always $1,700 and the 200g was $2,200. Now the 150 is $2,250 and the 200 is $3,150. Why would they randomly jump the prices so high? Turns me away from getting one now. I'll probably go with a waterbox or something now, bc that's just a crazy price jump.
I'm sorry you missed the low price, I was a bit shocked when I saw the price increase as well and you need to compare 'apples to apples' and decide what is best for you. Keep an eye out for sales. I'm not sure what your time frame is but I saw some nice sales in 2020 during the spring and Black Friday. Good luck

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been saving for the 230 system as well, and the price jump almost feels like a slap in the face
At the new price point your options have expanded. I visited my LFS yesterday and saw some very nice aquariums for a little more.
It’s no longer a large gap and the ‘no brainer’ approach doesn’t apply in my opinion.
The buyer needs to compare all options and take into consideration added cost such as shipping and needed accessories along with features and company backing prior to committing to what is a considerable investment regardless of the manufacturer.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna go ahead and say that it’s probably because of Covid and all the related issues with it. ALL products across the bord have raised in price over the last year.
a 2x4 piece of lumber that used to be $2 is now $6 everywhere. Same goes for metal and glass and pretty much all supplies.
Cant really blame them when everything else is going up too.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna go ahead and say that it’s probably because of Covid and all the related issues with it. ALL products across the bord have raised in price over the last year.
a 2x4 piece of lumber that used to be $2 is now $6 everywhere. Same goes for metal and glass and pretty much all supplies.
Cant really blame them when everything else is going up too.
Agree with what you’re saying about price increases across the board. What I’m saying is now that their pricing is more in line with the other companies out there it becomes our responsibility as customers to research and compare in order to get the most for our money.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what you’re saying about price increases across the board. What I’m saying is now that their pricing is more in line with the other companies out there it becomes our responsibility as customers to research and compare in order to get the most for our money.
Absolutely.
I was just giving possible reasons for the increase since some had stated they felt wronged by it. sometimes that just life though.

Id almost think of it as a blessing in disguise as now you can reevaluate your options and make the most informed choice you can.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.
I was just giving possible reasons for the increase since some had stated they felt wronged by it. sometimes that just life though.

Id almost think of it as a blessing in disguise as now you can reevaluate your options and make the most informed choice you can.
Absolutely agree with you. No blind approach based on price. This increases the pressure for the manufactures as well. When you enter 'the big league' and expectations are higher. Short comings are no longer overlooked because we got such a great deal on the item.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unlike a company like Hyundai for example. They came to market here with super low pricing, not high quality. But, people bought them up in huge numbers. Now there quality is up there with some others and so are their prices. But starting off with their low pricing got their foot in the door.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef builders most recent podcast heard there might be a glass shortage. Supply and demand maybe.

Lorono1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that works at a glass shop and the glass shortage is real. Glass vendors are constantly increasing prices. Not only that but I did speak to the guys at ProClear and they openly mentioned a plan price increase and the prostar 150 is gonna be in the ballpark of $3000 due to the increasing cost to make.

Like mentioned we are all left to determine what we value in a system. Proclear offers a quality stand with a aluminum frame and power bar. Waterbox offers a really nicely constructed display and overflow. Both are low iron glass. What sump design, plumbing do you like? Do you want the pre-assembled stand from proclear or do not mind assembling the waterbox stand? Also ProClear is coming out with a acrylic/net hybrid lid for their systems.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that works at a glass shop and the glass shortage is real. Glass vendors are constantly increasing prices. Not only that but I did speak to the guys at ProClear and they openly mentioned a plan price increase and the prostar 150 is gonna be in the ballpark of $3000 due to the increasing cost to make.

Reef builders most recent podcast heard there might be a glass shortage. Supply and demand maybe.
I work in a glassmaking plant and we make 450 tons per day of clear glass alone. Every now & then we make "Ultra Clear" low iron glass for a couple of weeks. It's hard for me to believe that anyone says there is a "shortage".

Dennis

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150g was always $1,700 and the 200g was $2,200. Now the 150 is $2,250 and the 200 is $3,150. Why would they randomly jump the prices so high?
I have an account with Alside. Since Oct., 2020, I've gotten EIGHT price increases. Steel, vinyl and aluminum have gone up between 34% and 54% in just those few months. Birdseed that used to cost $8 is now $9.50. Look at gasoline and rent. I could go on. It's inflation across the board. The 'experts' say it's transitory. I hope they are right. I experienced the 70s inflation and it was no fun. Thank God I only had myself to take care of, IDK what I'd have done if I had kids back then....

Lorono1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a glassmaking plant and we make 450 tons per day of clear glass alone. Every now & then we make "Ultra Clear" low iron glass for a couple of weeks. It's hard for me to believe that anyone says there is a "shortage".

Dennis
You can believe whatever you want. I'm located in Florida, ProClear is also located in Florida and by shortage I mean the demand > supply. The ''glass shop'' I mentioned installs shower glass and windows for consumers and businesses and have extended their lead times to 5-6 weeks due to the demand and their glass vendors are increasing prices.

Since you work at a glass plant do you know if you have excess glass sitting around in storage?

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can believe whatever you want. I'm located in Florida, ProClear is also located in Florida and by shortage I mean the demand > supply. The ''glass shop'' I mentioned installs shower glass and windows for consumers and businesses and have extended their lead times to 5-6 weeks due to the demand and their glass vendors are increasing prices.

Since you work at a glass plant do you know if you have excess glass sitting around in storage?
I do know that excess glass is sitting around in storage. Thousands of tons of it. Some clear, some ultra clear (low iron) , some green (several types), some black, some grey, some blue. Glass is not in a shortage position right now.

It's not a matter of "believing whatever I want", I see it every day.

Dennis

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its called entry level sales dude. Lol.
That and everyones laid off or not working rn. Guess what! Price of everything goes up. Lol.
Idk i dont get it.
D
Do you know what it looks like to walk in a warehouse with hundreds (or thousands) of tons of glass? Didn't think so.

Dennis

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back