Protein skimmer and return pump for Red Sea 170??

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am looking for a new protein skimmer and return pump for my Red Sea Reefer 170. I have my tank in my bedroom so I am looking for the quietest skimmers and pumps, what would you recommend? I was thinking of a Red Sea brand skimmer but wasn’t sure how quiet they are. Also what size return pump should I run? Someone told me at least 800gph and to get one that is controllable? Which ones fit this criteria? Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many opinions on protein skimmers so you will likely get several recommendations. I have been using #reefoctopus skimmers for years and have been very happy with their performance. I currently am using Reef Octopus skimmers on three different systems. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many opinions on protein skimmers so you will likely get several recommendations. I have been using #reefoctopus skimmers for years and have been very happy with their performance. I currently am using Reef Octopus skimmers on three different systems. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thanks! Does reef octopus make a lot of noise? I’m thinking of choosing that brand or Red Sea,

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Does reef octopus make a lot of noise? I’m thinking of choosing that brand or Red Sea,

Reef Octopus has a wide range of skimmers both size and pump style. You will find that the skimmers with DC pumps are probably quieter and more expensive. You may also want to research the Tunze skimmers from a noise perspective.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you finally end up getting?
I ended up getting a reef octopus essence 130 skimmer and a octo varios 4 return pump for the tank. Do you that that is too strong for a Red Sea 170? I plan on making a manifold in a few months later on after I have the tank running. But for now I am just keeping it simple without a manifold

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choices.

In my 170, I ran a Tunze Micro Algae Reactor (chaeto) and used same pump for 25 Watt UV light. Allowed me to overstock aquarium.

BD130E90-CC7D-438E-A9B2-3BDB2F76C1F4.jpeg
770761AB-B732-46E1-ABD8-F8828BE4A56A.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back