Protein Skimmer B4 Turf Scrubber?

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m going on week 3 of my cycle, and I plan to drop two juvenile clowns by the end of week 4 (Tank parameters: next to zero Ammonia and Nitrite, 20ppm Nitrate.)
I plan to use a ATS in the future as my single source of bio-mechanical Nutrient Export; though, I’m on the Turbo Aquatics waiting list till middle to end of June... not to mention the ATS will most likely require 6-8 weeks, if not longer in my current low nutrient system before it grows substantial/useful algae. With that said, should I purchase a Protein Skimmer to use in the sump for the next few months as a primary mechanical filter, or go with a strict feeding routine to keep my nitrates down, paired with just my filtration listed below and weekly 10% water changes ~5gals?

Filtration:
NSA, w/ 40lbs live sand
Dimpled Bio Brick
Rox Carbon (1 Cup)
ChemiPure Blue
Micron Filter Sock ( I have the RSR Sump cup which will be filled with Poly Fill)

Tank RSR XL200

TY for any advise/guidance in advance!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not be a bad idea to add in a protein skimmer to the system! Of course having some nutrients in the tank is not an issue and can be beneficial for the system as a whole. IF you are concerned about nutrient export and are going to be waiting that long for the ATS I would recommend getting a skimmer for inside the sump. Something good to have on hand too if the ATS isnt working out as you hoped!

OP
OP
BoxKing

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the general thought I was having after posting as well, and I can get a decent sub 200$ skimmer that will function very well for my tanks demand.

TY

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change is the best imo save the 200 for coral my skimmer just sits there doing nothing algea turf scubbers are awesome. But I do have one in case . And I have only been up and running for alittle over 2 months. And I do weekly water changes religiously.

OP
OP
BoxKing

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to go the ATS route, and sill do, but the two I want are both not available; Turbos ATS, and or the ClearWater style. I actually ended up pulling the trigger on a skimmer last week, and it arrives tomorrow. I will buy one of the two ATS.. which ever is available first; install and run it for a few months, then determine if I want/need the skimmer. Its a solid skimmer, and should hold good value if/when I go to sell it.

MAXSPECT JUMP SK400 PROTEIN SKIMMER

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In this situation, I'd say pick up skimmer, you don't have to buy new, and I likely wouldn't, just pick up a good used one to run for now. I run both a skimmer and ATS in my setup and I still have high-ish nutrients, but I feed pretty heavy.

OP
OP
BoxKing

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a buddy of mine who had all the means to buy new/decent equipment for his setups and always bought second hand everything... his systems looked like crap. I know a skimmer is just a skimmer, but I never buy second hand products, and at this point I have my new skimmer arriving tomorrow.

Problem with running both is that I plan to feed only once a day, and not heavily at all.... jussssst enough. I'm going to run both at first, as it will take some time for the ATS to break in (2-3 months), but I want some trace nitrates in my system at the end of the day. The ATS will most likely out compete the Skimmer for its overall tank benefits.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back