Protein Skimmer for 140g

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering with the labor sale going on. Are the skimmers that are on sale not as good as the ones that aren't?

I have been trying to decide what skimmer to get (has been really hard since there are too many options) for my 110g DT 30g sump and while it would be great to get one with discount i don't know if it's the right call...

Any opinions?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering with the labor sale going on. Are the skimmers that are on sale not as good as the ones that aren't?

I have been trying to decide what skimmer to get (has been really hard since there are too many options) for my 110g DT 30g sump and while it would be great to get one with discount i don't know if it's the right call...

Any opinions?
Depends on what manufacturer allows for discounts or not. Would help if you post which ones you are looking at for more input.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what manufacturer allows for discounts or not. Would help if you post which ones you are looking at for more input.
So originally I was looking to get the Octopus Reef 150 (150 because I have a roller and a lot of people recommend to not oversize the skimmer with a roller), but then I was thinking about saving some money and started looking into simplicity / bubble magus. Now maybe any of the brands that are on discount which are Tunez, Bubble Magus, Eshopps, etc.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, it looks like it would but idk how good it is.
I've been rocking bubble Magus for 5 years. Protein skimmers are actually a simple design and they all pretty much do the same thing. Bubble Magus is a quality brand.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magus Curve 9 would be a good skimmer for that size tank.
I have a Curve 7 on my 90. Works ok but is a little flaky. Just about anything makes it overflow. It replaced an old Reef 150 that was just too big... and old... and ugly... and noisy. I wish I had paid a little more for an appropriate sized Reef Octopus. For your tank, if you have the room a Classic 150 INT 6" would work. They're 15% off right now at BRS... so $275. The Classic 200 INT 8" would be $340. The Curve 9 is about $350.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Curve 7 on my 90. Works ok but is a little flaky. Just about anything makes it overflow. It replaced an old Reef 150 that was just too big... and old... and ugly... and noisy. I wish I had paid a little more for an appropriate sized Reef Octopus. For your tank, if you have the room a Classic 150 INT 6" would work. They're 15% off right now at BRS... so $275. The Classic 200 INT 8" would be $340. The Curve 9 is about $350.
Had a Curve 12 for 3 years now absolute powerhouse of a skimmer. Ever since it broke in, it has never overflowed. Even after new epoxy, filter socks, etc.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe the RO are on discount

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Curve 12 for 3 years now absolute powerhouse of a skimmer. Ever since it broke in, it has never overflowed. Even after new epoxy, filter socks, etc.
I wish I could say the same. Mine is not terrible. The level is just not as steady as my old Reef Octo.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the bubble magus get the elite version. The sicce pump is dead silent. I couldn’t believe how quiet this skimmer is.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt these are on sale but if you’re looking for a really good one, look up lifereef. Website hasn’t been updated in forever but they make quality skimmers.
I have never heard about them I will need to research them

ive been running deltec for a while. love their products.
Mmm I will also need to research these ones

-----

What about simplicity skimmers? Are they good?

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So originally I was looking to get the Octopus Reef 150 (150 because I have a roller and a lot of people recommend to not oversize the skimmer with a roller), but then I was thinking about saving some money and started looking into simplicity / bubble magus. Now maybe any of the brands that are on discount which are Tunez, Bubble Magus, Eshopps, etc.
I am extremely happy with my RO 150SS but I’m sure the Bubble Magus will be great as well. I agree on your sizing considerations. I have a 120gal display with a 40gal sump. I don’t have a roller and even then the 150 is plenty.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely happy with my RO 150SS but I’m sure the Bubble Magus will be great as well. I agree on your sizing considerations. I have a 120gal display with a 40gal sump. I don’t have a roller and even then the 150 is plenty.
That's great to know. How heavy is your bio load?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back