Protein skimmer for a 40/20

onion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys building a 40b 20L sump, I know what I'm doing for most of it but I am completely lost on skimmers. Most say up to 100+ and min say 65. im having trouble on a good recommendation for say max 300? maybe a good low mid high tier for the budget. Also can skimmers run smaller setups than they are recommended for? I know this has been beat into the ground and believe I've been searching the web but alot of stuff is outdated so figured I'd ask. OR if anyone is selling a good skimmer in that price range please let me know! Thanks again

Also suggestion on a good internal overflow. all I see are eshops and all reviews lead to leaking

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I need to mention I'm very new to this. I'm currently cycling my first reef tank. Only had freshwater before this.

In the BRS Protein Skimmer Mistakes video, one of the things they mentioned was that it's better to undersize than oversize your skimmer.

I have the same setup as you. 40g breeder and a 20L sump. I went with the Reef Octopus 4" 110INT.

Also, as far as overflows. I have the Eshopps Eclipse M (caught an open box at my LFS for like 60 bucks). No problems with it so far. I did make sure to give the included and already installed bulkheads an extra half turn or so to make sure they were fully seated.

OP
OP
onion

onion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I need to mention I'm very new to this. I'm currently cycling my first reef tank. Only had freshwater before this.

In the BRS Protein Skimmer Mistakes video, one of the things they mentioned was that it's better to undersize than oversize your skimmer.

I have the same setup as you. 40g breeder and a 20L sump. I went with the Reef Octopus 4" 110INT.
thats one of the ones I was looking , just figured I'd get some other opinions, I have a 10gallon now but am just slowly buying and building a 40. what overflow did you get? and what powerheads you using? and yeah welcome man, I have multiple freshwater and a couple shrimp breeding tanks and all planted. one high tech co2 tank as well so saltwater is a whole new world to me and im very new as well

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats one of the ones I was looking , just figured I'd get some other opinions, I have a 10gallon now but am just slowly buying and building a 40. what overflow did you get? and what powerheads you using? and yeah welcome man, I have multiple freshwater and a couple shrimp breeding tanks and all planted. one high tech co2 tank as well so saltwater is a whole new world to me and im very new as well
I made an edit about the overflow. I have an eshopps Eclipse M. For the powerheads, an Eco Tech Vortech MP10 and and I didn't want to break the bank on a second one, I grabbed a Sicce Voyager 2. Which, BTW is [physically] enormous. It takes up a lot of real estate in the tank. I do like the way the Vortechs have the 'motor' outside the tank and fan inside, magnetically coupled through the glass. I wish more brands would do it like that. I don't even need the network connectivity. Even just a basic speed control would be plenty if it could bring the price down.

(Edit: And since I have a 3D printer, I saved the 12 bucks on the driver mount instead of buying one).

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back