• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Protein Skimmer for a Biocube 32...

bigpfist

View Badges
Reaction score
I hear a lot about getting (or not getting) a protein skimmer for a Biocube if you plan on having corals. I decided to just go ahead and take the plunge and I bought a Tunze 9001. It is supposed to come in the next week.

My question is do I really need an ATO for the skimmer? I have never had to top off my tank. The water level indicator on the side always stays at the same level after I do a water change. If I do in fact need to do a manual top off, am I looking at once a day? I haven't installed the media rack so it's hard to tell how high the water level is in chamber 2 which is where I plan on keeping the skimmer.

I welcome any advice and want to say thanks in advance!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
I hear a lot about getting (or not getting) a protein skimmer for a Biocube if you plan on having corals. I decided to just go ahead and take the plunge and I bought a Tunze 9001. It is supposed to come in the next week.

My question is do I really need an ATO for the skimmer? I have never had to top off my tank. The water level indicator on the side always stays at the same level after I do a water change. If I do in fact need to do a manual top off, am I looking at once a day? I haven't installed the media rack so it's hard to tell how high the water level is in chamber 2 which is where I plan on keeping the skimmer.

I welcome any advice and want to say thanks in advance!
Dunno, but Imma Give you a Bump

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
I was not pleased with the 9001 or 9004
Went to ice-cap K-1 and it looks and works like a full sized skimmer and really pulls the gunk. Only 3” round

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 175 44.1%
  • Every Month

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 48 12.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 55 13.9%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 44 11.1%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 18 4.5%