Protein skimmer for rimmed 40 breeder

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently dosing NoPox and I'm seeing some positive results so far about 2 weeks in. Lots of algae is starting to die off but the bottle says to protein skim. O2 isn't an issue as my gyre and filter outputs are hitting the surface but I do need a skimmer. What are some good HOB skimmers for a rimmed 40 breeder?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current thought:

stauzin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze makes a good internal protein skimmer for that size tank. I had one on my 40 breeder it was the 9004 model, worked well but I did have a issue with microbubbles from it. I would recommend getting the dc version so you can control it better but also make sure the housing is snapped together properly out of the box... some of them aren't and that causes the microbubble issue.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current thought:

I've had that one for a few years, very good quality, no issue's with it.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that one for a few years, very good quality, no issue's with it.
I watched the BRS video on it and it seemed like a high quality item. The bioload in my 40 breeder right now is very low. Only 5 fish and some easy corals. Will be adding some more fish this weekend hopefully.

Edit: It looks like the rim is over 1". Would this skimmer still work with that rim? I could probably cut the rim away a little bit to make it fit.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for you, you can see in the pics how it does fit over the rim, but not wide enough to get over the lip. But that little ledge is about .5" its enough to securely hold it, and can tighten the screws, it does work

1687963172020.png
1687963346570.png

1687963394790.png

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will send you free of charge a Reef octopus HOB 100. you pay shipping. I used it for three months. cleaned it and put it away. If you dont like it, you are only out shipping and a trip to the garbage can. It was the replacement to the equally terrible Aquamaxx that you are considering. I would highly suggest an ice cap nano K1-50 right in the display with an ATO to keep it skimming

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With that level of bio load, you may consider doing weekly water changes and skip the skimmer for now.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for you, you can see in the pics how it does fit over the rim, but not wide enough to get over the lip. But that little ledge is about .5" its enough to securely hold it, and can tighten the screws, it does work

1687963172020.png
1687963346570.png

1687963394790.png
Yup, exactly like my tank. Cool, glad it works then. Looks like I'll be picking this up then.

Also, I dig the quote in your end line. I'm a pink floyd man too.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will send you free of charge a Reef octopus HOB 100. you pay shipping. I used it for three months. cleaned it and put it away. If you dont like it, you are only out shipping and a trip to the garbage can. It was the replacement to the equally terrible Aquamaxx that you are considering. I would highly suggest an ice cap nano K1-50 right in the display with an ATO to keep it skimming
Color me intrigued. What problems did you have with that skimmer? I'll check both the ice cap and the reef octopus out.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your water parameters should help you figure out the frequency and amount of water changes. Based on what you’ve shared about your system, a 25% water change every week should be more than enough, but it might be a place to start and then adjust from there. There are many opinions and approaches to this so please accept this suggestion as one of many options.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out some of the cadlights knockoffs. I have an IOAIO skimmer on my 40G and it does well. It comes with a hanging bracket that I think would fit the rim.
Checked it out on amazon and it looks like its an in tank unit. Is that right? It seems like a neat little doodad.

Edit: Oh, they have other options... oops. Just saw the first one.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back