Protein skimmer in a small apartment

Matheurisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to reefing so this may be a dumb question. I have a skimmer on the inside of the AOI filtration chamber it works great no issues, also I live in a tiny 750 sq. ft condo and my tank is in my living room which is essentially just on the other side of the kitchen island. So my question is when I am cooking and it starts to get smoky should I turn off my protein skimmer? Every time I cook it stops frothing the water and starts to lightly bubble it instead. It eventually starts frothing again but it takes a few hours. Last note skimmer is only a week old so I am not sure if that is why it fluctuates so much. Any wisdom through experience is appreciated.

blksubykid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is maybe 5-6 ft from our kitchen (also an apartment) in the dining area. We turn on the overhead fan in both the kitchen and dining room. It’s been a year and a half and we haven’t had any issues. We also don’t cook for too long, maybe 45min tops. It also took over a month for my skimmer to break in…

OP
OP
Matheurisley

Matheurisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is maybe 5-6 ft from our kitchen (also an apartment) in the dining area. We turn on the overhead fan in both the kitchen and dining room. It’s been a year and a half and we haven’t had any issues. We also don’t cook for too long, maybe 45min tops. It also took over a month for my skimmer to break in…
Awesome thank you for the feed back I appreciate it. I am sure it’s just needs that time to break in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back