Protein skimmer is not working, help!

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coralife protein skimmer in my sump for my 55 gallon reef. The pump is working and producing bubbles, but they are not going into the skimmer for some reason. Is it just clogged up? Can I just clean it out? Or is there a bigger issue?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coralife protein skimmer in my sump for my 55 gallon reef. The pump is working and producing bubbles, but they are not going into the skimmer for some reason. Is it just clogged up? Can I just clean it out? Or is there a bigger issue?
Check the air intake tube for buildup. Pretty common.

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the air intake tube for buildup. Pretty common.
I did all that, cleared the venturi fitting everything is working. The pump is producing plenty of bubbles, they just are not going into the skimmer. I'm thinking it's plugged up. I guess I'll try pulling it out and see if i can clean it.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time you took the skimmer apart and cleaned the valute and air way?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they meant volute.

Was it working at some time and now isn't working or is this a new venture for you?

I'd start by taking out the pump and pulling it apart and cleaning it.

Put everything back together and start with "air" open all the way while you start to shut down the "control" knob.

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was it working at some time and now isn't working or is this a new venture for you?

Put everything back together and start with "air" open all the way while you start to shut down the "control" knob.
No, the pump and venturi are working something is wrong between the the pump and the cup.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that your pump's input is properly aligned with the bottom your skimmer? I'll admit to having that problem before, where the "hole" didn't line up and therefore the skimmer didn't work very well at all.

Can you share any photos?

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that your pump's input is properly aligned with the bottom your skimmer? I'll admit to having that problem before, where the "hole" didn't line up and therefore the skimmer didn't work very well at all.

Can you share any photos?
No, I thunk it's lined up. I think outs clogged up internally. I've just never taken apart the actual skimmer before, and I don't know if that's possible.
I'll try to get some pictures.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% you can take it apart. Just be careful, and you'll be able to get it back together easily. I think most of us take our skimmers apart to clean them/soak them in vinegar.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you. That is exactly what I meant.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your model number of skimmer and we can probably give you tips on cleaning it. Everything has been covered in the thread including water level.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start with the pump as this is an economy/entry level brand. Id recommend to go to a reef octopus, Eshopps or similar /better quality unit for a fair cost

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back