Protein skimmer not producing many bubbles

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited an eshopps psk 75. I have to make the water level in the skimmer very high in order to get even a wet skim. There’s only like one inch, if that, of bubbles at that point. It seems like an old model. Do you think the pump is at the end of its life. Should I get a new skimmer?

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean out the pump and more importantly, air tube thoroughly? How long has the skimmer been running? Have you lowered the water to the mfg. reccomendations and let the skimmer break in to your tank?

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean out the pump and more importantly, air tube thoroughly? How long has the skimmer been running? Have you lowered the water to the mfg. reccomendations and let the skimmer break in to your tank?
I did clean it out originally. It’s been running for about a month. The water level in the sump is appropriate.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not the water level in the sump- the water level in the body of the skimmer.

Also, for some reason the image is no longer visible.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not the water level in the sump- the water level in the body of the skimmer.

Also, for some reason the image is no longer visible.
Hmm. Here’s another pic.. I drew on it this time. First red line marks water level. Second marks where the bubbles stop. I lowered the water line to fill the body of the skimmer to about 75% of the body. Should I just give it more time now?

7998F609-CD1B-4C7A-8E1F-FC6A20FDB032.jpeg

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level for a skimmer is the water it sits in. Water level in the sump not skimmer body. Also not sure, but I imagine the inlet for the pump should not be facing that way.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level for a skimmer is the water it sits in. Water level in the sump not skimmer body. Also not sure, but I imagine the inlet for the pump should not be facing that way.
Have you read what I previously stated? The proper height is 8-10 inches. I have it 9 inches in the water in the sump. I’m asking about the internal level. Thank you.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read what I previously stated? The proper height is 8-10 inches. I have it 9 inches in the water in the sump. I’m asking about the internal level. Thank you.
cool response to someone that is trying to help you. the water inside the skimmer will determine the density of the skimmate you are producing, but I'm sure you knew that already. good luck with your skimmer issues.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool response to someone that is trying to help you. the water inside the skimmer will determine the density of the skimmate you are producing, but I'm sure you knew that already. good luck with your skimmer issues.
I appreciate your responses. Was just saying that I had previously said the water level in the sump was appropriate. Atleast, in accordance to the manufacturer. Just looking for a response to the internal water level. If I should lower it or leave it as is. Didn’t mean to sound rude. Thank you

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back