Protein Skimmer overload

MNichter1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love suggestions. My tank runs perfect until I plug protein skimmer in, it always triggers fuse box switch off. I tried splitting where things are plugged in. Any recommendations to fix?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love suggestions. My tank runs perfect until I plug protein skimmer in, it always triggers fuse box switch off. I tried splitting where things are plugged in. Any recommendations to fix?

If possible, you should put the tank on a dedicated circuit. Often a lot of plugs in a certain area are all on the same circuit. The other issue could be a faulty skimmer pump; especially if the circuit trips right away when you plug it in.

OP
OP
M

MNichter1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, you should put the tank on a dedicated circuit. Often a lot of plugs in a certain area are all on the same circuit. The other issue could be a faulty skimmer pump; especially if the circuit trips right away when you plug it in.
I tried plugging it in another outlet, and it runs for 30 minutes then trips the fuse again. The tank is unfortunately in an apartment so not a ton of options for moving it around or having dedicated circuits.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd lean toward an issue with the skimmer itself. If it were lights or the heater, I would say it needed a larger breaker.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different outlet doesn’t mean separate fuse. If it’s the same fuse it’s either a defective pump or just overloaded circuit from to many amps. If it’s tripping a breaker and not blowing a fuse it’s possible you have a weak breaker. You would need an electrician to check that for you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back