Protein Skimmer Recomendations!!

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

"What is your favorite skimmer?"

I know this is a can of worms but I want to open it anyways!! :) I have had an aquamax fc-80 on a 90 gallon cube for over a year. Total water volume is probably around 110 gallon. I have had consistent issues with it being inconsistent, usually working well for a few days but than collects large amounts of skim at the neck. I have adjusted everything to no avail. I have 2 tangs in the tank and clownfish. I am in the market for a new skimmer as this one seems to be missing the mark and wanted to know your thoughts. Leaning towards red sea or nyos. Past systems I have used bubble magus and reef octopus with no issues but those were for larger skimmers. Thanks all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Topreefer92

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the reviews and videos on the new Red Sea skimmers, I would go with that. I am waiting for my Reef Octopus to fail and then upgrade to the Red Sea

I like the way you think!! I wonder if I should go the rs400 instead of the 300. I just don't want to go too big like BRS states and have a worthless skimmer. Thoughts?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the reviews and videos on the new Red Sea skimmers, I would go with that. I am waiting for my Reef Octopus to fail and then upgrade to the Red Sea
I need a new skimmer also and saw the same thing.... still I’ve owned 2 Reef Octos and I’m still waiting on them to fail....

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going DC or AC for your skimmer? I just purchased TWO of them...yes, TWO...to replace my SKIMZ 161 I had since 2016...bigger load now on my 120...went with the DC Aquamaxx AquaMaxx ConeS DCQ-2...its a replacement for the Bubble Magnus D8 I purchased a month ago...

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they paid reviews is the question?
My Redsea was so noisy it drove me crazy .
No it wasn’t touching the side of the sump and yes I reassembled it to ensure everything was tightened correctly.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for a tunze skimmer, the 9400 series might not have the bells and whistles that some do but they straight up work and being tunze, will never break.
I have one and I’ve never been more happy with a skimmer, never had to fiddle with it once.
I second the Tunze skimmer 9400, they are rock solid and easy to use

OP
OP
Topreefer92

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going DC or AC for your skimmer? I just purchased TWO of them...yes, TWO...to replace my SKIMZ 161 I had since 2016...bigger load now on my 120...went with the DC Aquamaxx AquaMaxx ConeS DCQ-2...its a replacement for the Bubble Magnus D8 I purchased a month ago...
I like ac so probably ac!

OP
OP
Topreefer92

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice that red sea is injected molded. Looked a little flimsy on BRS video. I might have to talk to Adam at battlecorals about the Deltecs.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ac so probably ac!
check out the Akula line of skimmers. they ship direct from Italy. i have a UKS 160 and it's on par with Bubble kings
skims very very well. you can get a quote direct from their site contact link. http://www.ultrareef.it/product.htm.

1589291261043.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at this for more than 25 years and for all this time, "new" skimmers have just meant uncertainty. Some work out OK, but most fade into nothingness. If you have a skimmer than you are unhappy with, then get a tried and true one like LifeReef, Tunze, something with a Red Dragon Pump, ASM, etc. Some ROs are good and some suck - they have made so many different models with so many different pumps and they are not all the same (I have one with a Sicce PSK pump and it is awesome, but also had 4 or 5 DC models and they sucked). It is hard to tell with a RO.

Seriously, how can a review of a new skimmer mean anything?

All of this said, I will buy any LifeReef or Tunze that hits the market used. They are that good. I will look and see if a RO has a Sicce Pump and I will buy it - I pass on the rest. I will avoid used Bubble Kings since they are hard to service, but they do skim well. I will buy ASM bodies and put new HydroFoamer pumps on them and turn them into beasts. I do like to run two skimmers per tank, and will run three sometimes when my fish start to get big.

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

"What is your favorite skimmer?"

I know this is a can of worms but I want to open it anyways!! :) I have had an aquamax fc-80 on a 90 gallon cube for over a year. Total water volume is probably around 110 gallon. I have had consistent issues with it being inconsistent, usually working well for a few days but than collects large amounts of skim at the neck. I have adjusted everything to no avail. I have 2 tangs in the tank and clownfish. I am in the market for a new skimmer as this one seems to be missing the mark and wanted to know your thoughts. Leaning towards red sea or nyos. Past systems I have used bubble magus and reef octopus with no issues but those were for larger skimmers. Thanks all!

I have an aquamaxx EM-300 and it did take a little while to settle down but I am pleased with it now. Quiet, stable performance and pulls a solid amount of gunk out of the water for sure. Not sure why you are having difficulty, have you tried leaving on settings for a few days? I only made very small adjustments as I dialled it in..

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back