Protein skimmer recommendation

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my protein skimmer for a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump. Any recommendations for what to get? The one i have is unbranded and got 2nd hand with the setup but I think its only good for up to 100 gallons light load.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their favorites and they all really work about the same for the size you pick. So I want something reliable and easy to maintain and use. I'm a fan of the Tunze 9410 DC. It has a break in period of a week or so. There's no tuning required really and it supports a fairly wide sump level 5.5-9.5. Says up to 317 gallon but that's usually optimistic or light load - 120 will be fine. The DC pump is easy to adjust for the skim you'd like. Very easy cup removal and fairly easy to clean. It's older design which turns some people off. No swoopy curves, no jet nozzles of bubbles. It's German design for functionality, Tunze name and simply works. Slightly pricey (less so now a days though) but it'll last years.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run the Reef octopus skimmers and loved them but on the new tank I decided to try a Bubble magus curve 5. It's a fantastic skimmer. I would assume a 7 would be the size for that tank and I imagine equal quality. I've never used tunze but heard they were good. Any of them really! What I love about the bubble magus, and this may help is their inboard pump which really allows it to take very little space. and with only a 20g sump it may help

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octo. Never heard a complaint about them

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef octo, probably a 150int assuming you've got room for it in your sump. I've used both their internal and external skimmers and they are competitively priced against other skimmers in their class and they just simply work.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it still works, I’d keep what you have if your trading in because of size.
Does it pull stuff? Is it doing it’s job.

I’m not a fan of over sizing skimmers, I want it to help in the export process and remove DOC but not strip it. That where the trouble starts.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the Tunze 9410 dc in my 120.
Check my build thread for more info.
Its now in my 45 frag system.
I now run th 9430dc in the 120.
Read the Tunze site. A 9410dc is good for a fully stocked sps system of around 90g's.
The 9430dc is rated to 900g's. However the Tunze
site it will say reduce by 70% for full on sps systems so 270g's.

So for your system the 9410dc will work.
I new it was time to upgrade when no3 slowly rose to 20 from <5.
It now stays at <5 because the 9430dc is more efficient and my tanks full of sps now after 2 years.

The best thing about Tunze skimmers is you just turn them and they work. You do not even have to turn them off to clean the cup.

Also get the dc version as its quiet, you cant hear it running.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9410dc all the way! Simple to clean. Silent. Set and forget. Backed by the best customer support in the industry.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my protein skimmer for a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump. Any recommendations for what to get? The one i have is unbranded and got 2nd hand with the setup but I think its only good for up to 100 gallons light load.

Love my RedSea RSK 600.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions! I did forget I do have one issue, the guy who built the sump did it in an odd way so the return chamber is larger than the overflow one. So it comes after the fuge, im hesitant to put the skimmer there but the first chamber is only a 6-7 x12 space so not very large

DMC112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their favorites and they all really work about the same for the size you pick. So I want something reliable and easy to maintain and use. I'm a fan of the Tunze 9410 DC. It has a break in period of a week or so. There's no tuning required really and it supports a fairly wide sump level 5.5-9.5. Says up to 317 gallon but that's usually optimistic or light load - 120 will be fine. The DC pump is easy to adjust for the skim you'd like. Very easy cup removal and fairly easy to clean. It's older design which turns some people off. No swoopy curves, no jet nozzles of bubbles. It's German design for functionality, Tunze name and simply works. Slightly pricey (less so now a days though) but it'll last years.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back