Protein Skimmer Upgrade Question

Riddler05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon mixed reef (mostly soft and LPS bc I can't seem to keeps SPS alive) with a pretty heavy bioload. Currently I am running a bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer (rated up to 140 gallons) but I can't seem to get my nitrates below 12ppm even with carbon dosing. I am using zeostart as my carbon source and I have been slowly increasing the dose over the past 5 weeks. However I am a little concerned that my current protein skimmer is under rated for my tank. Everyone says to go as large as possible but my question is will buying a big skimmer really help and if so can anyone recommend a skimmer that they think will work best. If I have to upgrade my skimmer I am hoping to keep the price under $350-400. Any advice would be great.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing to maintain alk, calc and mag. Need these three guys to keep sticks.

OP
OP
Riddler05

Riddler05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I just dose saturated Kalk using a BRS dosing pump and then once a week I test magnesium and dose as needed. However I am having problems keeping my alk stable. It fluctuates usually by 1-1.5 dkh per week. It could be testing error but I have a feeling it is real. I am thinking about moving to two part but I wanted to get my nitrate under control first.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say aquamaxx co-2 with that price range great skimmers and I've had more than a few in my time reefing but those have really impressed me

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with my RLSS 6i on my 90. Undetectable N&P with recirculating BP reactor.

I would have gotten the Aquamaxx CO-2, but the footprint is bad, and it wouldn't easily fit my skimmer section. Pump in body saves a ton of room, at the cost of dwell time.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your currently not dosing enough if your Nitrates are not falling.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well a140G rated skimmer on a 90G should be fine. I don't think you have a problem there. How long have you been dosing carbon? If its been only 5 weeks I think you will need to give it a little more time to kick in or like RM said your not dosing enough. I am using BP an I added 25% of recommended amount each week until I had the proper amount in the reactor for my size tank. It took about 10 weeks for it to come down to zero.

OP
OP
Riddler05

Riddler05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I think I will just stick with carbon dosing and slowly inscreasing the dose. I will give it another couple of months and see what happens.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back