Protein skimmer working properly?

Crass

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2020
Messages
163
Reaction score
65
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Need help as this is my first skimmer. Does this seem to be a good height for the bubbles in the return chamber? Too high?

When I raise it up, I seem to get large bubbles rising instead of micro bubbles
 

Attachments

  • 20200831_205456.mp4
    33.8 MB
Yep, looks about right. You just want the top of the bubbles to slowly roll over the side fo the cup. Not too much or you're emptying the cup constantly and not too little and not skimming anything. As you skimmer gets broken in, it will create a larger head (bubbles) and more efficiently skim. The color will get a lot darker and it will take more waste and less water.

I'm emptying my skimmers about once every week(ish) but that can vary with different people and skimmers depending on how tuned in you want it.
 
I would call that skimming "wet." What you will be emptying out of the cup (and more often than if you skim drier), will be rather clear. Personally I would lower the bubble level and let the 'green gunk' accumulate and get pushed up into the cup; you will empty it less often, and it will have more dense (and greener) output.
 
Hi everyone! Need help as this is my first skimmer. Does this seem to be a good height for the bubbles in the return chamber? Too high?

When I raise it up, I seem to get large bubbles rising instead of micro bubbles
Skimmers are like automobiles, they are all design different. What brand are you using
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new