Protein skimmer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Protein skimmers are a way of reducing the waste in your saltwater aquarium and keeping the levels of nitrates and phosphates low. It is a container of bubbles, water, and air that is attached to your main tank. The water in the main tank will flow through to the protein skimmer and the device will help clean the water. The waste in your tank is attracted to the foam because of an electrical charge, and therefore it will gather in the foam for you to simply take out of the protein skimmer. The bacteria and waste form on the bubble, not in your tank.
A protein skimmer is not absolutely necessary when having a saltwater aquarium. Some hobbyists maintain a healthy and clean tank without one, but you may run into difficulties and have more work to do in order to keep your tank clean if you don’t have a protein skimmer.
Without a protein skimmer, you might find an oily film on the water at the top of your tank. This is waste that has gathered and needs to be dealt with.
This waste that gathers in your saltwater aquarium is not only unappealing to look at, but can be harmful to your marine life. The protein and organic waste that is gathering will break down and release nitrates. Having high nitrate levels in your tank means that your fish and coral are more likely to be ill.

For me, it provides low(er) maintenance, lower nitrates, clarity and lower toxins

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome51.gif

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon bio cube. See a lot of mixed answers,having one and not having one any thoughts? On a protein skimmer?
Thanks Robert
Hi Robert, and welcome to R2R! A lot of great answers Running a protein skimmer on any reef system is beneficial in my opinion. Some run skimmers 24/7 others part time. I happen to have a 29 biocube set up and running since 2014. This customized setup has had an aquaticlife 115 running in chamber one and producing nice consistent skimmate. I like that this skimmer allows you to completely take it apart and thoroughly clean periodically. For more on this setup similar to yours check out my thread on the build. Rjramos 29 gal biocube.

Back