• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

PSA: Exercise caution when posting Wanted To Buy Threads

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be aware of a scam that has been popping up more as of late.

Users who post wanted to buy ads receive a PM from a new, or newer account with no posts on the forum.
The PM looks something like this;
20200424_171122.jpg

It will always be a third party member that you have to contact through email.

In short, the email will have you PayPal them the money (likely asking through Friends and Family, or another unsecured means) and then vanish never to be heard from.

We are doing our best to ban all these accounts but we need your help.

Should you receive a PM similar to this, or if you suspect a scam, please report it to a member of the moderation team.

Thank you and stay safe!

Crabs
dang.. yep exactly what happened.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scammers used to give out gmail address to contact. They seem to have moved on to texting. Just got this:

Hi Mate, you can check with Bonnie she has it available, her late husband was a member of this forum you can text her at, (213) 569-4341, I purchased items from her and they arrived in top condition.

As usual, user reported.

1688656237901.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scammers used to give out gmail address to contact. They seem to have moved on to texting. Just got this:

Hi Mate, you can check with Bonnie she has it available, her late husband was a member of this forum you can text her at, (213) 569-4341, I purchased items from her and they arrived in top condition.

As usual, user reported.
Thank you for reporting.

ryan2577p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

As usual, user reported.

1688656237901.png
I got the same message but the name was Rita! I got took for $650 on CashApp! I’m a stupid idiot!!! I should’ve known better! I didn’t see these posts until it was too late! ***!!

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same message but the name was Rita! I got took for $650 on CashApp! I’m a stupid idiot!!! I should’ve known better! I didn’t see these posts until it was too late! ***!!
Sorry to hear

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back