PSA - Go Check Your Emergency Overflow Lines!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT -- I meant to mention this last week, but totally forgot!

If you haven't checked your emergency overflows for awhile, go and check them! I woke up one morning this past week and went down to check on the tank before work and noticed a "questionable" nassarious snail that I am still skeptical could be a whelk...it was within 6 inches of the top of the tank, so I opened the top screen to grab him (and sump him for awhile). When I lifted my screen lid, the water was to the top of the tank and touching my screen! I looked over to the emergency drain line and it was about 2" below the water surface...and no water going into the sump!!! I attempted to push a hose through the line but it was hitting something solid. From the bottom, I attempted to shove my fingers up into the line and hit something solid...and then snail shells started pouring out! I ended up using a screwdriver to break them up and clear the line!

I wondered where all my Trochus snails had disappeared to! Well, I found them...along with about a hundred dwarf cerith snails as well. They were so tightly packed in and had started to calcify around them that they totally blocked the emergency drain line!

Now, I'm wondering if those snails were in that line rotting all along...which may have caused an ammonia spike resulting in the die-off of my other snails that seemed to start dropping all around the same time! But, my cleaner shrimp seemed very healthy...and those are good indicators for something off in a tank!

Thank goodness I checked that morning AND that questionable snail was within grabbing distance! Otherwise, I would have come home to a flooded room that evening!

Forgot to add -- Also when cleaning out the emergency line, I also started getting a "trickle" of water from my bulkhead...which turned into much more than a trickle as I was attempting to remove my union on that line! Luckily, it was also a simple fix...the bulkhead nut had really loosened on the emergency drain line and the full siphon drain line!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure been through the snail clogging overflow games a cpl times.
I zip tie screens i cut from bags my wife buys her oranges in over all my overflows now.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure been through the snail clogging overflow games a cpl times.
I zip tie screens i cut from bags my wife buys her oranges in over all my overflows now.
That's an excellent idea! I will be doing that...I was trying to figure out how to attach a screen or something to the top of the emergency overflow. I use a larger plastic screen on my full siphon line, but that would have elevated my emergency line too high to be of any use. Zip-ties are a good idea!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back