PSA if you have an old Maxspect ICV6 ..

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my Maxspect Ethereals for an age now and recently they started acting up and turning on or off at odd hours. Every time I opened the app though, the schedule would correct. I had a hunch that the controller was just losing the time and after taking it apart I can confirm that the ICV6 has a small CR1220 battery that keeps the system time just like a motherboard. So if yours is hitting that 7 year or so mark and starting to act weird .. might want to change that battery.

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more impressed that it's lasted 7 years...
I love my ethereals. to be fair its been a bit more than 7 years, but I had a devasting tank crash back in 2015 and these were one of the things I saved in storage incase I ever came back.. they were not being used for about 4-5 years there and I don't remember exactly when i bought them.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my ethereals. to be fair its been a bit more than 7 years, but I had a devasting tank crash back in 2015 and these were one of the things I saved in storage incase I ever came back.. they were not being used for about 4-5 years there and I don't remember exactly when i bought them.
Sitting idle in "storage" still counts! lol

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you are able to grow purple coraline under your Ethereals? Mine have bleached all of my purple coraline. And it does not grow at all. I have heard of other leds doing this also. If you are able to grow coraline under you ethereals can you tell me what you spectrum setting looks like? Also are you dosing?

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you are able to grow purple coraline under your Ethereals? Mine have bleached all of my purple coraline. And it does not grow at all. I have heard of other leds doing this also. If you are able to grow coraline under you ethereals can you tell me what you spectrum setting looks like? Also are you dosing?
I have coralline, but maybe it hasn't been as aggressive as in previous systems, I ran those maxspects at the 12k setting. I recently was given the opportunity to upgrade to some dalua illumagic lights and I am noticing a lot more coralline to scrape off the back glass, but I attribute that more to the maturity of the tank than the change in lighting.

I think probably more likely its a biome issue. Tanks are more sterile this days since we don't really get live rock anymore, if you have a friend with a well established tank ask them for a little rock rubble with coralline on it, or I think seahorse savvy sells snails that have encrusted coralline on their shells. might help to introduce it into your tank that way.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back