PSU_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Starting my build thread for the Waterbox 100.3

I have to say I feel like I don't have the credentials to dive on into the world of reef keeping, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I last maintained a freshwater aquarium back when i was in middle school (15(!) or years ago or so).

That said, I've wanted to get back into the hobby and take a step up to saltwater for years now. I have lived a fairly transient existence between college and then coming out of school traveling for work and living in apartments for indefinite periods of time. It never made sense to me to dive in so to speak. I recently bought a house and am ready to set up my aquarium and hopefully do it the "right way".

I decided on the waterbox 100.3 vs the reefer 350 probably half due to their marketing, but overall I have not heard many complaints, the price difference wasn't bad, and 0% financing is sweet.

Tank is ordered and on the way so its about time to start my build thread. My setup is still in flux but here's where my head is at so far. If anyone sees faults please let me know!!

Rock and substrate:
Marco Rock
Caribsea - 40lbs special grade + 20lbs aragalive

Cycling: Going to try and do dr tims and place in a live rock from a LFS.

Skimmer: RO 150INT 6"
Power Heads: 2x Nero 5
Return pump: RO VarioS 6
Heating: 2x 200W BRS Titaniums + Inkbird Controller
ATO: XP Aqua Duetto

Lighting: TBD but leaning towards the XR15 blues vs the Hydra 32s but I'm planning to leave my tank unlit for the first few months. Partially since i'm planning to ease into corals and also to spread out some of the cost of 1k on lighting.

Thats all i've got for now! Please follow along if interested :)

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it slow and ask a bunch of questions! There's a ton of folks on here willing to help. Sounds like you're off to a good start so far!

OP
OP
P

PSU_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is set to arrive tomorrow - I've laid out the initial aquascape i'm planning to use. Still need to wash the rocks and glue some key pieces together. my plan is to do that later this week and get water and rocks into my tank with the cycle hopefully starting on Sunday.

Pic of planned aquascape
IMG_0961.jpg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! What method are you planning to use to glue the rocks? I found the thick gel superglue with instant bonding spray to be the easiest.

OP
OP
P

PSU_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! What method are you planning to use to glue the rocks? I found the thick gel superglue with instant bonding spray to be the easiest.
I have the glue and insta-set but was hoping to just use the marco rocks mortar kit. The rocks are fairly stable on their own, but there's a few key ones I want to make sure stay put. Thinking that the mortar would be best for that. But I did buy the glue as well as I'm pretty sure that will have other uses in the tank and wasn't that expensive.

OP
OP
P

PSU_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up, rocks are in, next is to finish washing the sand, get the saltwater setup and start the cycle! Bacteria are ordered and arriving on Wednesday or Thursday, so hoping to have the tank all set up by then.

Attachments

• B00C035D-C2BD-4652-A1C2-DFA4C5B76797.jpeg
    B00C035D-C2BD-4652-A1C2-DFA4C5B76797.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
P

PSU_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow but steady progress.

The tank is officially up and running - or at least has water, rocks, and sand.

There was a delay in getting the bacterial starter from AB but it should be here on Saturday.

Until then, my main task is some serious cord management below and finish with any app/wifi setup tasks. No lights on this tank for a little while.

B3E25604-82C1-4453-A927-A853670C03DB.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back