Puffer with ICH

TruChainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently got a blue spotted puffer(Canthigaster solandr,i think) (, no sign of ich when i got him (12/23) until today 12/28.

from what i know/read puffer dont do well with copper but I might take that risk unless i can get some more opinions/help.
I believe he got ich from stress? i know puffer are more susceptible to illness/diseases/etc when stressed. first vid is the day i got him, the other 2 are from tonight, one with a coral lens filter and other with no filter, only see spots on the fins as of now.

so far i freshwater dipped him for a few mins and saw some of the spots come off but not all, then moved him into a temp quarantine 5g bucket with an air stone so i dont get ick on anything else hopefully. not sure what to do from now, i have read some forums but still dont know what we be best cause i know CP is the best but its expensive and hard to get, i dont have QT cycled at the moment but i do have plenty of 5g buckets, an empty 10g and 20gl, should i try TTM, i know its a pain in the butt and can be costly since i need to get some heaters maybe?, main tank the puffer came from is at 78 and the bucket is 75, or setup the 10/20 as a QT to use either cupramarine, paraguard, chelated copper like copper power?

any help will be appreciated and will gladly answer any questions :D i just want puffer to live and vibe

Attachments

• 12_23_noich.mov
    2.2 MB
  • 12_28_ich.mov
    1.9 MB
  • 12_28_ich_coral lens.mov
    2.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently got a blue spotted puffer(Canthigaster solandr,i think) (, no sign of ich when i got him (12/23) until today 12/28.

from what i know/read puffer dont do well with copper but I might take that risk unless i can get some more opinions/help.
I believe he got ich from stress? i know puffer are more susceptible to illness/diseases/etc when stressed. first vid is the day i got him, the other 2 are from tonight, one with a coral lens filter and other with no filter, only see spots on the fins as of now.

so far i freshwater dipped him for a few mins and saw some of the spots come off but not all, then moved him into a temp quarantine 5g bucket with an air stone so i dont get ick on anything else hopefully. not sure what to do from now, i have read some forums but still dont know what we be best cause i know CP is the best but its expensive and hard to get, i dont have QT cycled at the moment but i do have plenty of 5g buckets, an empty 10g and 20gl, should i try TTM, i know its a pain in the butt and can be costly since i need to get some heaters maybe?, main tank the puffer came from is at 78 and the bucket is 75, or setup the 10/20 as a QT to use either cupramarine, paraguard, chelated copper like copper power?

any help will be appreciated and will gladly answer any questions :D i just want puffer to live and vibe

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does appear to have marine ich, along with some extra mucus production.
Personally, I would treat it with coppersafe for 30 days, this species tolerates that well.
Hyposalinity would also work, but would also require a treatment tank.
Since it is small and easy to catch, you could try TTM.

Oddly, while hyposalinity works, FW dips don't really help, I would stop doing those.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back