Pufferfish recommendations - large? dwarf? 1 of each?

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well stocked 300g tank. The only coral are mushrooms and also has anemones. Fish include tangs - purple, naso, desjardins, gem; angels-goldflake, scribbled, queen, coral beauty; eels-snowflake and blue ribbon; harlequin tusk. All fish live harmoniously together.

The 1 fish I have wanted to add was a puffer- love their personality. My lfs has a small stars and stripes puffer. I have also thought of a dwarf - like a spotted, saddleback, or blue spot.
Thoughts of which to add - a dwarf or a large puffer?
Thoughts of the stars and stripes vs other larger puffers?
Is the stars and stripes also compatible with a tomini puffer? Add 1 of each?

Thanks

OP
OP
G

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do you recommend feeding the puffers/dwarf puffers and how often?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stars and stripes all the way in a 300g, tons of personality; he'll be eating from hand and letting you tickle his belly. I don't know what a tomini puffer, I think you mean valentini puffer. As far as I know these 2 would be compatible. The stars and stripes is very docile and will give you no trouble at all, the valentini are notorious nippers, but in that tank I think you are fine.

I am a big fan of all arothron puffers, and you can't go wrong with a stars and stripes. Puffers can come in with internal parasites, so if i found a heathy one at a lfs, it would be a good choice.

Puffers like chunky meaty foods and really anything that you are feeding the rest of your tank. They'll probably have alot of favorites, because puffers love to eat. But I spoil my dogface with clams on the half shell, chunks of shrimp, scallop, and silversides. While he would take it from my hand, I might also be missing a chunk of finger, so I use a feeding stick to spoil him.

OP
OP
G

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stars and stripes all the way in a 300g, tons of personality; he'll be eating from hand and letting you tickle his belly. I don't know what a tomini puffer, I think you mean valentini puffer. As far as I know these 2 would be compatible. The stars and stripes is very docile and will give you no trouble at all, the valentini are notorious nippers, but in that tank I think you are fine.

I am a big fan of all arothron puffers, and you can't go wrong with a stars and stripes. Puffers can come in with internal parasites, so if i found a heathy one at a lfs, it would be a good choice.

Puffers like chunky meaty foods and really anything that you are feeding the rest of your tank. They'll probably have alot of favorites, because puffers love to eat. But I spoil my dogface with clams on the half shell, chunks of shrimp, scallop, and silversides. While he would take it from my hand, I might also be missing a chunk of finger, so I use a feeding stick to spoil him.
thanks for the detailed response! Would you be concerned about the nems?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the detailed response! Would you be concerned about the nems?

That is always the rub with puffers, they may or may not ignore them. My puffer would likely care less, but othets may sample. That's a tough call on your part, likely not a good idea.

OP
OP
G

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is always the rub with puffers, they may or may not ignore them. My puffer would likely care less, but othets may sample. That's a tough call on your part, likely not a good idea.
What about a toby puffer with the nems?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arothon gets my vote as well. My s&s was my fav puffer. Narrowline, immaculate, & reticulated are my other favorites.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back