Pukani Rocks

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering, what are people's thought about pukani rocks anymore? Do you guys still like them? I was going to go pick some up but I just can't decide on what rocks I want to use. Different rocks would mean different scape ideas for me.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani is for sure one of the more interesting looking rock. Personally, I really like the way it looks but never cared for it in my tanks - Too many large crevices that seemed to create dead spots where detritus would accumulate.

What type of scape did you have in mind?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering, what are people's thought about pukani rocks anymore? Do you guys still like them? I was going to go pick some up but I just can't decide on what rocks I want to use. Different rocks would mean different scape ideas for me.
My favorite rock, can’t find it anywhere these days

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically I just went and picked up a bunch of this rock because I was beginning to dislike the look of the solid rock I have in my tank. The solid rock is starting to look a little fake to me. Having said that if my corals grow out then maybe I won't see the solid rock in a few years. Haha.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pukani is for sure one of the more interesting looking rock. Personally, I really like the way it looks but never cared for it in my tanks - Too many large crevices that seemed to create dead spots where detritus would accumulate.

What type of scape did you have in mind?
If I was to get the pukani then I was going to do two islands. A shorter in the front peninsula and a taller one in the rear near the over flow. But if I get the real reef rock then I was going to do like a table with branching on both sides but higher in the rear and lower angling down in the front. But that scape is going to be more centered and a little to the rear.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite rock, can’t find it anywhere these days
Well, if you are trying to get some I found the plug the guy has 500 lbs of it and I'm thinking of picking up the lot since I love pukani but I'm still debating since that would change my plans on how in going to scape the tank. If I get the pukani then it's going to be a two island design. If I get the real reef rock branch and shelves then it's going to be like a table structure. Both would look sick but I'm just stuck on what to do. Or I could just pick up the lot and save it for my future permanent tank when I purchase another house

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have about 200 pounds of Pukani in the tank and when we scaped for this tank we broke many of the pieces apart and glued/cemented what we wanted. personally I like it.
They are lighter for sure, but I love the natural crevices it has. They might be large but it's not like a Boulder of a rock compared to what you get these days.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to get the pukani then I was going to do two islands. A shorter in the front peninsula and a taller one in the rear near the over flow. But if I get the real reef rock then I was going to do like a table with branching on both sides but higher in the rear and lower angling down in the front. But that scape is going to be more centered and a little to the rear.
Both sound cool.

I'm sure you could come up with a pretty nice design by mixing the two as well.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both sound cool.

I'm sure you could come up with a pretty nice design by mixing the two as well.
No mixing. Real reef is purple and the pukani isn't. I would find that being tacky looking at two different colors. It's either one for the other for me is why I'm still debating which route to take. The guy I found that had the pukani has 500 lbs and that's a lot since my main display is only 140g. And I like the minimal look and with either scale I was only going to do maybe 60lbs of rock. But he does have some nice pieces and if I do pick up the whole lot then maybe I can just use it for my future permanent tank. If I buy the real reef rock then I would just buy one table rock, twenty pound of shelves and thirty pounds of branching to make the scape. Only if I could get my hands on some Haitan or real Tonga branches.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mixing. Real reef is purple and the pukani isn't. I would find that being tacky looking at two different colors. It's either one for the other for me is why I'm still debating which route to take. The guy I found that had the pukani has 500 lbs and that's a lot since my main display is only 140g. And I like the minimal look and with either scale I was only going to do maybe 60lbs of rock. But he does have some nice pieces and if I do pick up the whole lot then maybe I can just use it for my future permanent tank. If I buy the real reef rock then I would just buy one table rock, twenty pound of shelves and thirty pounds of branching to make the scape. Only if I could get my hands on some Haitan or real Tonga branches.
Using your two separate designs and placing a real reef structure as a standalone entering out from the back corner. With a secondary pukani scape pushing in to the front left quarter of the tank. The contrast of the darker rock in the back along with the placement creates an illusion of depth and expanse.

Combining could work.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using your two separate designs and placing a real reef structure as a standalone entering out from the back corner. With a secondary pukani scape pushing in to the front left quarter of the tank. The contrast of the darker rock in the back along with the placement creates an illusion of depth and expanse.

Combining could work.
I don't know about that. I'm very particular in things I do so even though the aquascape would probably look good, just me walking into my front door and seeing a two tone scape would probably bug the hell out of me.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Combining could work.
But I do see what you're saying. The real reef structure is pretty much like the background and the pukani is the foreground. It could probably work but the only way to find out is to make it happen.

weave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where you live. I’ll buy some of the pieces ya don’t want. I got one pukani piece in the back rest is fiji

Attachments

• 2F5ACE3D-6D2F-4C20-8D10-A7B9C2A4864B.jpeg
    2F5ACE3D-6D2F-4C20-8D10-A7B9C2A4864B.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where you live. I’ll buy some of the pieces ya don’t want. I got one pukani piece in the back rest is fiji
I'm I'm clarksville, tn. I'm going to go pick up the lot next weekend. If not on the first since me and him is trying to find the time to meet when we both aren't busy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back