Pulled trigger on Achilles tang.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice QT tank!!! Do you have a Ammonia Alert by Seachem on your QT? they do let you know when you need to do a water change.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;SHVr8qDMJL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHVr8qDMJL4[/video]

Enjoying Green Seaweed sheet soaked in Herbivore Frenzy! Cupramine is approx. .10

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked up on him. He was pale and freaking out. I did a quick 15 gal water change. I can only assume the Cupramine was making him unhappy.

Turned lights off and hoping for best.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, he seems to be back to "happiness" except he is still sick. He is showing signs of bubbly/flakey skin in splotches. It cannot be velvet because he would probably be dead by now. I did another 10 gallons worth of water change. I am thinking this was flukes all along.

The twitching, splotches and loss of some color. Somewhat rapid breathing, although he seems to be swimming fine.

EDIT: So that brings me to 25 gallons total of changed water... Question is should I start dosing prazipro immediately or wait?

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be able to handle the copper. If it's flukes, a freshwater dip, and treat the food with prazi. I would finish a copper treatment, jmo.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could actually be velvet. Copper treats it effectively. I would think, since it's an invertebrate, that copper would kill flukes, too.
On the other hand, your tang could be having a reaction to the copper. So it's a touchy sort of thing.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could actually be velvet. Copper treats it effectively. I would think, since it's an invertebrate, that copper would kill flukes, too.
On the other hand, your tang could be having a reaction to the copper. So it's a touchy sort of thing.

Yeah, not really sure what to do at this point.. Copper treats him, yet he reacted badly

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, not really sure what to do at this point.. Copper treats him, yet he reacted badly
There's formalin....but it's kind of dangerous to use. :/

Can I ask you to to try the Rid-Ich+? Manufacturer's site says it treats both amyloodinium (velvet) and cryptocaryon (saltwater ich)....it just doesn't look like flukes to me. Even if it is, the Rid-Ich has a variant of formaldehyde in it so I think it _might_ kill flukes too.

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget ich has life cycle stages and your fish will appear fine, when in fact the ich only fell off your fish to reproduce,only to reinfect your fish 10 fold. You need to get proper test kit.So you have proper amount of cupramine in your water to keep the fish from getting reinfected.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget ich has life cycle stages and your fish will appear fine, when in fact the ich only fell off your fish to reproduce,only to reinfect your fish 10 fold. You need to get proper test kit.So you have proper amount of cupramine in your water to keep the fish from getting reinfected.

I understand Ich's lifecyle and that it always doesnt show in the white spots.

Salifert is a proper test kit for cupramine.

The only issue is treating him for something, with something that doesnt make him all to happy. Cupramine was only at .10 and he freaked out.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it's flukes, a FW dip will confirm. Just FW dip for a few min and you will see flukes peel off in the water. I had a bad case of flukes about a year ago. I treated my DT three times and didn't lose a single fish or coral.

Flukes definitely make your fish twitch.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it was flukes. I looked up some pictures of Tangs with flukes and the symptoms, and visible stuff on his body looked the same. I put in the dosage of Prazipro. Worked great.

He looks great, he is not twitching anymore, and his body looks like its shedding what was there.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful to hear! Apparently I was wrong...I really must do more research on flukes...!

Unfortunately Ich still may be present. But at the same time I would feel a fish as high strung as him would definitely be showing signs of ich. But after the prazipro was added his twitching dramatically went down within a couple of hours... So I guess its just a waiting game. He is eating nicely so I am not overall concerned.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched your videos and it looks like flukes. I could see one on his body. Some of them are clear and some are white-ish. It's hard to see the clear ones. I am a firm believer in prazipro, even in the display tank.

Flukes don't kill as quickly as ich, but they do tend to go for the eyes and can permanently blind your fish. It's the ones on the gills that will kill the fish.

If I were you, I'd do a FW dip in a dark colored container. Within 30 seconds, you'll see flukes peel off of his skin. Then you can begin treating with prazi or move on to another diagnosis. The flukes will look like sesame seeds.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two weeks of Prazipro, looking very healthy and eating like an absolute pig. I have placed him into the Display tank.

My LEDs were near the end of the cycle and dim actinic. The Achilles was swimming out in the open checking out the tank while flared up. He wasnt skittish at all. Eventually my little yellow tang spotted him and started to show what hes got as well. After a few minutes of showing off the tomini entered the picture more agressively than the yellow. There was some body smashing but no noticeable damage to eachother. I decided to just turn off the lights.

This morning at 5 he was doing what he always does, swimming the current happily. Hopefully after a couple of days the pecking order is established and done with. I dont get how/why people get like 7 tangs in a tank smaller than what mine is.

joelpeavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two weeks of Prazipro, looking very healthy and eating like an absolute pig. I have placed him into the Display tank.

My LEDs were near the end of the cycle and dim actinic. The Achilles was swimming out in the open checking out the tank while flared up. He wasnt skittish at all. Eventually my little yellow tang spotted him and started to show what hes got as well. After a few minutes of showing off the tomini entered the picture more agressively than the yellow. There was some body smashing but no noticeable damage to eachother. I decided to just turn off the lights.

This morning at 5 he was doing what he always does, swimming the current happily. Hopefully after a couple of days the pecking order is established and done with. I dont get how/why people get like 7 tangs in a tank smaller than what mine is.

Without pictures it didn't happen! LOL! Good to hear the little guy is doing well and hopefully fully recovered. Hope you have many years of that fellow beautifying your reef and DT. They are gorgeous without a doubt!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back