pulling grimy marketing tricks right now.

mattnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my eye on a couple lights from BRS. In particular the AI blades and Radion XR30. From screen shot in July the XR30 was 854.00 it is now 999.00 blade was 215.99 now 264.99

…. Just in time for Black Friday sales where they can now advertise 20% off discounts and still get their old pricing and now everyone is stuck paying 20% more from now on if you don’t hit a sale…. Grimy move BRS.

Also now I am forced to wait for Black Friday when I need my lights now as I’m finally ready to purchase. Double annoying.

I know everything is getting more expensive but 20% mark up overnight?!

IMG_1434.png IMG_1435.png

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Seriously? In case you haven’t noticed everything is going up in price. That’s the “inflation” you’ve been hearing EVERYONE talk about.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

This excerpt is from a google search on how the markets are doing in 2023. For context, it had tiny rises up to July and has been sliding since then, so comparing prices in July to now is quite the delta.

The large-cap benchmark halted a five-month winning streak, yet it also cut losses following sell-offs during that month.

The Nasdaq composite, undisputed leader among major equity indexes in the U.S. this year, pulled 2.2% lower for the month, while the Dow industrials cooled 2.4% from Aug. 1 through Aug. 31.

And September? It turned out to be a more brutal sell-off. The Nasdaq finished with a 5.8% decline, its worst performance since an 8.7% shellacking in the final month of 2022.”

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m not sure it’s playing games, but agree that there are more affordable brands. I think ecotech makes great stuff, but they are premium priced as a brand and if you are buying the top end stuff, you kind of just have to take the ride for what they charge or be willing to go with cheaper alternatives.
How is this any different from the norm with the aquaria industry?! :yawning-face:

Sucks but ain't much you can do about it except put your money where your mouth is and buy other brands that dont play games with pricing.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it’s playing games, but agree that there are more affordable brands. I think ecotech makes great stuff, but they are premium priced as a brand and if you are buying the top end stuff, you kind of just have to take the ride for what they charge or be willing to go with cheaper alternatives.
I'm all for good almighty capitalism but if your going to raise the prices just do so and be done with it. I also get its marketing 101, all about perceived value with a mark down a few times a year thus the potential customer feels as if they got a deal when there is a mark down but frankly didn't...

As I said, enough fools stop parting with their money to these brands, they will get the point. Peak reefing has come and gone, you want the hyped brands your gonna pay for them. Plenty of alternatives that are cheaper and will grow coral just the same.

OP
OP
M

mattnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

This excerpt is from a google search on how the markets are doing in 2023. For context, it had tiny rises up to July and has been sliding since then, so comparing prices in July to now is quite the delta.

The large-cap benchmark halted a five-month winning streak, yet it also cut losses following sell-offs during that month.

The Nasdaq composite, undisputed leader among major equity indexes in the U.S. this year, pulled 2.2% lower for the month, while the Dow industrials cooled 2.4% from Aug. 1 through Aug. 31.

And September? It turned out to be a more brutal sell-off. The Nasdaq finished with a 5.8% decline, its worst performance since an 8.7% shellacking in the final month of 2022.”
Comparing the stock market to a retail product is a stretch. Comparing inflation I probably makes more sense no?
“The annual inflation rate for the United States was 3.7% for the 12 months ended August, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on Sept. 13, 2023”

So inflation is around 4% and we see 20% price hikes. Good for you if your happy paying it I’m just saying it sucks and I wish the announcement was a bit more public as I had no idea it was coming or I would of bought before September 8th.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Comparing the stock market to a retail product is a stretch. Comparing inflation I probably makes more sense no?
“The annual inflation rate for the United States was 3.7% for the 12 months ended August, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on Sept. 13, 2023”

So inflation is around 4% and we see 20% price hikes. Good for you if your happy paying it I’m just saying it sucks and I wish the announcement was a bit more public as I had no idea it was coming or I would of bought before September 8th.
I’m not comparing stock market to retail goods, but there are things that affect both. For example, chip manufacturing had some legislation that went to votes earlier this year that affected perceived value and prices of any goods that utilize chips. Supply chain woes and value of the dollar for lending also affect retail products.

Just as you can’t just say stocks are down so retail goods are affected, you can’t just as easily say inflation is historically 3%, why is x good so pricey. Other goods including gas haven’t followed historical inflationary trends either.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Order from Amazon. Usually free shipping. BRS charges way too much for shipping. Used to be fine but they can no longer be considered mom and pop.
Agree. I’m by no ways defending BRS, just wanted to point out it was a change at all retailers. Buy where it is more effective and what you can afford.

Also not trying to go down the rabbit hole of economics, not my profession or anything, but I do work in insurance and markets, interest rates, and other factors are things I look at weekly. All those things impact rates set for goods at all levels and at the end the consumer buying power.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Order from Amazon. Usually free shipping. BRS charges way too much for shipping. Used to be fine but they can no longer be considered mom and pop.

Except BRS offers free shipping on all orders over $49 lol

And be careful with Amazon. Many companies in the industry don’t allow items sold on Amazon. So anything bought there carries no warranty

Last edited:
Back