pulling grimy marketing tricks right now.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dude, are you telling me you pay to wear their gear? and you buy stuffed dolls of their youtube personalities?

Season 8 what the heck GIF by The Office
Lol. No matter who or what they are now or what anyone’s opinion is I personally learned alot from BRS so hence the support gear.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
my dude, are you telling me you pay to wear their gear? and you buy stuffed dolls of their youtube personalities?

Season 8 what the heck GIF by The Office
Hey now, his purchases of non reefing apparel with high margins can hypothetically drive down prices for their other goods. This man is just trying to save us all.
Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still is at certain times. Seems they don’t run the promos as often these days though
Yup.

*Sigh* As a west coaster, I still miss marine depot :disappointed-face:. Its been long enough that there are reefers that have no clue who they are now. They were my first online pivot to purchasing aquarium goods.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Ryan has a ton of knowledge and experience.

Source: I talk to him routinely about reefing
I knew one of their personalities growing up. Excellent person, excellent reefer. Could sell me my own shirt off my back. They are no doubt expected to push high margin product, regardless of it's merits. He was doing just that in his last gig, but for the competition. It's business after all, and it's naive to think they are truly always giving you unbias advice or info.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I knew one of their personalities growing up. Excellent person, excellent reefer. Could sell me my own shirt off my back. They are no doubt expected to push high margin product, regardless of it's merits. He was doing just that in his last gig, but for the competition. It's business after all, and it's naive to think they are truly always giving you unbias advice or info.

Everyone is biased. That’s life

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I’ve recommended 52 weeks of reefing to new reefers on this forum and more than once I’ve told them don’t go on a spending spree after lol. I’ve joked that it’s like watching an infomercial and the hosts have tells when they are trying to pedal something specific.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sometimes I’ve recommended 52 weeks of reefing to new reefers on this forum and more than once I’ve told them don’t go on a spending spree after lol. I’ve joked that it’s like watching an infomercial and the hosts have tells when they are trying to pedal something specific.
Cycling Pedaling GIF

I hate bike peddlers as well that are always pedaling..

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0662.jpeg
This was my last cart. I wanted you to be right. My wife thought the Ryan Chile thing was hilarious lol.
UPS second day air is $17.16. You had to of selected that yourself instead of the free or $3.99 rate for what you ordered. It does not select the rate you paid by itself. In 3yrs I have ordered 70 times from them and always use the free or preferred rate of $3.99. Usually everything arrives next day or 2 at the latest but I am also local.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS second day air is $17.16. You had to of selected that yourself instead of the free or $3.99 rate for what you ordered. It does not select the rate you paid by itself. In 3yrs I have ordered 70 times from them and always use the free or preferred rate of $3.99. Usually everything arrives next day or 2 at the latest but I am also local.
Cool deal. Didn’t know there were shipping options. Thanks for letting me know.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so surprizing to me that people see this hobby as a way to make money off of those hobbists who must have the best equipment for their home reef.

I was going over my fuel spending in September and noticed that between the 12th and the 27th I had paid $5.69 and then $6.69/ per gallon at my local gas station. I have to keep track of my spending for work and if I had to pay these prices myself I might pay more attention. +$1.00/ gallon in fifteen days isn't a market situation as much as a market manipulation. Why does this always happen in the season before the presidential primary and general election?

Have you ever wondered who paid for all those political fliers that land in your mailbox during these election cycles?

I suspect that the Aquarium industry is required to pony up or else face drastic embargos on foreign coral or chips that are required for all your Apex like equipment to work. These increases in the cost of doing business could put a company out of business quickly especially if they dont cooperate. It could be that they might experience a rare Hawaiian lightening storm that burns down their entire industrial village. Or even Paradise California, where the governor moved in quickly to ensure there were more than 18,000 loan applications to rebuild the 14,000 or so properties that were destroyed. Business doesn't get rich giving deals to neighbors. Business squeezes the last drop out of each rind. Otherwise they wasted an opportunity to expand their earnings. This isn't bashing Capitalism, business is foisted upon the people in every economic scheme known to man.

Who pays the taxes? All good citizens, by definition.
save ice hockey GIF by NHL

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The more I learn about this hobby and it's main players, the more jaded I get. It's wild that BRS has such a monopoly that they can demand 80% margins, because who else is there out there? They've eaten up all the competition at this point.

What items have an 80% margin?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What items have an 80% margin?
Ryan Chili! Easy 80% on that plush :face-with-hand-over-mouth: for $9.99, cranked out in a sweat shop behind the LED factory probably used as dunnage for the pond crossing.

I had a friend years ago who said to me; "If I ever start wearing checkard pants, shoot me." I think the same thing about many of the swag items, and Ryan Chili fits that criterion for me.

But I am happy for others who must have one. It's a free market world. :cool:

R chili.jpg

ONLY Nine Ninety Nine, your corals will thrive with his recomendations! Wonderful! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for good almighty capitalism but if your going to raise the prices just do so and be done with it. I also get its marketing 101, all about perceived value with a mark down a few times a year thus the potential customer feels as if they got a deal when there is a mark down but frankly didn't...

As I said, enough fools stop parting with their money to these brands, they will get the point. Peak reefing has come and gone, you want the hyped brands your gonna pay for them. Plenty of alternatives that are cheaper and will grow coral just the same.
Haha that’s amazing, “peak reefing”. Never heard of the play that way. It’s also true.

Back